Fast and Loud - Please!

Taylormade

Okay, since I am in the business as a professional video director/writer/cameraman, I don't want this to come off as sour grapes. I am not naive enough to believe we never compress time, fudge a few facts or put things out of order to make things more watchable and dramatic, but the opening episode of Fast and Loud this season left me with my jaw dropped to the floor. While there is obviously a lot of phony bluster and BS on this show, it's usually somewhat watchable, but in this opening episode we are asked to believe the following...

Richard Rawlings just happens to attend an auction and just happens to find a 1971 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack with non-matching numbers. He pays 42 grand for it, even though it has a bad clutch and a loose steering box. He, of course, drives it and rips up the lawn doing a wheelie on the grass of the auction site. It's unclear why he bought the car, something about "always wanting one because of the decal on the back window."

Cut to Richard's shop, where he pulls up in a prototype 2015 Challenger with a new 392 Hemi that he claims Chrysler just happened to loan him for 15 days to do "anything he wants to it." He shows it to buddy Aaron and says that once he gives it back, Chrysler is going to crush it "because they have to, or something."

Aaron glances over at the 71 conveniently parked just behind the new Challenger. "Hey," he says, "I have an idea, lets swap all the mechanicals for the new Challenger into the old one." Richard, is of course, agast, and the usual argument ensues, with Aaron prevailing and both cars being rolled into the shop to be torn apart. One crew member mentions something about getting permission from Chrysler to do this, but Richard blows him off and claims if they don't know about this it will be better. Ah, that wild rebel Richard Rawlings! He figures this revolutionary swap may make the 71 worth upwards of 150 grand.

Immediately things go south as the transmission is too long on the new car - BUT! - Aaron just happens to have a shorter transmission conveniently "on the shelf" that will work perfectly. Oh, and the K-member on the new car doesn't work on the 71 -but wait! - "Luckily" Aaron claims, "MagnaForce just started making a bolt in conversion to drop the new Hemi into the 71." Gee, what a coincidence. Apparently, MagnaForce thought of this novel idea even before Aaron. They also discover that none of the suspension parts from the prototype will work in the 71, so they buy already available off the shelf performance parts to finish the job. So, basically, what we have is an engine swap using readily available parts.

At this point, I turned the show off. This was so obviously a scripted, well planned conversion job designed to work with suppliers free parts. I'm sure Chrysler knew nothing about Richard tearing apart their prototype to steal the engine - and I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if you're interested. I didn't even bother to watch the end where I'm sure the Chrysler rep shows up and faints or something before Richard shows him the new improved 71 and all is right with the world. I'm somewhat amazed that Chrysler would be a party to this fraud, despite the free advertising.

It's gotten to the point where about 10 to 20 percent of these shows is about cars, with the rest being lame comedy bits or shop arguments. Thank God for my DVR and a quick moving thumb where I can skip over the crap and commercials and watch what little is offered about working on cars.

I like Fast and Loud and watched that episode last night.

I don't think there has ever been any pretense of presenting this "show" as anything more than a show.

I consider it entertainment........with a bits of mechanics thrown in....... :rolleyes:

It's not any less scripted than Counting Cars or any of the others.

Nobody in their right mind would watch the actual real life, day to day, proceedings in a real body shop....... :eek:

Guest AlCapone
I like Fast and Loud and watched that episode last night.

I don't think there has ever been any pretense of presenting this "show" as anything more than a show.

I consider it entertainment........with a bits of mechanics thrown in....... :rolleyes:

It's not any less scripted than Counting Cars or any of the others.

Nobody in their right mind would watch the actual real life, day to day, proceedings in a real body shop....... :eek:

You have indeed put it into the proper perspective when you referred to it as entertainment . No less and no more. Many will watch every week while others will not tune in again ! Most shows nowadays are scripted of course and we accept them for what they are !

Wayne

Don't get me wrong, I was interested to see if they could update the 71 with a modern Chrysler drivetrain. But then they proceeded to do exactly the opposite and drop the engine in around common aftermarket parts. The show would have been just as entertaining without all the fake "moments." Chasing Classic Cars is much more enjoyable and you get to see some really interesting cars. I guess my idea of entertainment is different from others, and that's fine - you only have to turn the channel to make your opinion known.

"Nobody in their right mind would watch the actual real life, day to day, proceedings in a real body shop....... :eek:"

Maybe not an everyday body shop, but I would watch a detailed segment on bodywork, engine rebuilding or other restoration activities all day long. Building and restoration threads on this site are popular, and the more detailed they are, the better people seem to like them. I want and need the little details as I'm no expert and need all the help I can get. I realize no network is going to air a hard core restoration show, but at least shows like Overhauling and Wheeler Dealers give you some info on how the cars are really built.

At this point, I turned the show off. This was so obviously a scripted, well planned conversion job designed to work with suppliers free parts. I'm sure Chrysler knew nothing about Richard tearing apart their prototype to steal the engine - and I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if you're interested. I didn't even bother to watch the end where I'm sure the Chrysler rep shows up and faints or something before Richard shows him the new improved 71 and all is right with the world. I'm somewhat amazed that Chrysler would be a party to this fraud, despite the free advertising.

It's gotten to the point where about 10 to 20 percent of these shows is about cars, with the rest being lame comedy bits or shop arguments. Thank God for my DVR and a quick moving thumb where I can skip over the crap and commercials and watch what little is offered about working on cars.

I agree, but you may have noticed that Chrysler is a sponsor of Fast And Loud, and Richard has recently appeared in some of their commercials. As with most "reality" shows, it's all about manufactured drama and little to do with reality. With that said, I enjoy Fast And Loud and all of the other car shows that the above posters have cited. If it's about cars and the production quality is good, despite the drama, I like it.

Cheers,

Grog

Jay Leno does some nice, non hokey videos. But even he gets things almost right, and hokes things up a little. I guess it's just impossible for anyone in show biz to leave out the bullshit entirely.

I agree, but Leno is a lot funnier than Rawlings and his honest love for cars comes through in every frame. I guess we all should be happy Discovery/Velocity is around so we can get our fix of car talk. It's just that this episode was so outrageously fake it set my teeth on edge. One man's opinion, that's all.

I have been doing a detailed video of the restoration of my 32 Dodge DL. Nothing dramatic, except possibly my expression when the latest bill arrives. I plan to show the process, warts and all -costs, setbacks, success, and, hopefully, the finished car. It will be interesting to see if anybody cares to watch any of it when I finish. I did it mostly for myself to document the restoration - it's amazing what you can forget a year or two down the road. I've done about 80 percent of the restoration myself and have learned invaluable information from this site and others that I'd like to share with as many like-minded car nuts as possible. The other 20 percent was above my pay grade, but I was just editing a section on how some of the bottom sheetmetal was replaced on the body and I was amazed at how much of it I had forgotten since it was done last year. I ended up being glued to my own video. Ah, self aggrandizement at its best.

Reality TV is garbage--pure and simple. Totally contrived and geared for the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has ruined once great channels like the History Channel, Discovery and A&E. I will not watch this BS. Do you self a favor--instead of watching this crap and encouraging the cable networks to produce more, go out and work on your real car. No contrived arguments, no drama, no bs time deadlines.

It is possible that FCA has to crush the challenger. Vehicles damaged in transport are often donated to school shops and written off as a loss. I remember seeing one of the last 100 Oldsmobiles (with the last 100 badging and everything) at the local community college in Harrisburg Pa years ago. The rest, is rubbish.

Guest AlCapone

Compare it to World Wrestling. Some love it, some hate it. Is it real or highly scripted ? To most of us the answer is obvious but to others they are true believers ! The nice thing about electronics is that they can be switched off.

Wayne

Mr. Taylormade, I'm sorry to tell someone like you in the industry that

I watch very little television these days. The quality of programming has

declined tremendously over the years: There is almost nothing uplifting;

it's only occasionally educational; and more often it's scripted drivel that has

become morally bankrupt.

On the other hand, I love seeing some of the old comedy shows,

most of which were before my time, on DVD. Those old programs

were written when the Television Code was in force.

Most of the content of "The Learning [sic] Channel" now has nothing to do

with education; the History [sic] Channel has replaced history with reality shows;

and so on. The car programs, as others note, don't portray an interesting

and afffordable hobby with much truth, because it isn't exciting enough for the

producers.

Too, the number and of length of commercial breaks has greatly increased,

so that I can leave the TV, accomplish something, and come back--and the

3- or 4-minute ad break is just finishing! Isn't it hard to imagine that

old radio comedies had ONE sponsor and only one minute or so of ads

in a 30-minute episode!

You write, " Thank God for my DVR and a quick moving thumb where I can skip over..."

An enthusiastic and happy hobbyist, I respond, "Thank God for the OFF button."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I can't say I've ever seen this show, which isn't surprising as I haven't owned a television for better than 10 years, but I was away on business last weekend and staying in a hotel. I saw the commercial for this show... that was enough. "Lowest common denominator" is very well put. Even accepting it as entertainment, I fail to see what is entertaining about vulgar, boorish stupidity, which is all I have seen in my limited exposure to reality television.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

The first few seasons we fun to watch. Then they got all "West Coast Choppers" and became divas. Opened up a huge bar, moved into a huge shop, started bragging about money every episode. I stopped watching when they started to include the big productions in each episode. They build a Smokey and the Bandit car then make a mini movie about delivering the car. The shop will be closed within 5 years because the Gas Monkey name will be as big a joke as American Choppers.

Guest marlin65

I like Graveyard Carz only because he restores back to and better then factory. His jabs at his crew are hilarious to. Wheeler-dealers is OK,Chasing Classic Cars is good but to many exotic foreign cars to relate to. Americarna is very good and highlights some neat stuff as does What's in the Barn. Gas Monkey Garage is just plain stupid. Ed Dade City,Fl

I think that we all know that so-called reality TV is just another name for "low budget TV". One of the first "reality" TV series is also the only "real" TV series out there, and that series is known as "COPS". I still enjoy the Fast and Loud series, but they are rapidly in the process of losing me with their on-screen posting of tweets by the audience. Who the hell wants to know what "Herman** from Long Island" thinks about anything, or to hear about his alleged bad-a&*ed ride?

Cheers,

Grog

** No offense intended to anyone named "Herman".

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

I like Graveyard Carz only because he restores back to and better then factory. His jabs at his crew are hilarious to. Wheeler-dealers is OK,Chasing Classic Cars is good but to many exotic foreign cars to relate to. Americarna is very good and highlights some neat stuff as does What's in the Barn. Gas Monkey Garage is just plain stupid. Ed Dade City,Fl

I agree with this assessment of good shows.

I'm not to fond of *****-in Rides. I would have a bit more respect for the show if it was titled *****-in Rides. Classic Car Rescue, I like that they do restore the cars however the drama is enough to make me sign into the rubber room. Restoration Garage that is in Canada is not bad either.

Of all the shows concerning car restoration/fix-em up I can really only relate to Wheeler Dealer. Even if it does appear Ed China works for free! There is plenty of showing how to and accepting the fact that some repairs need to be farmed out. It just appears more realist for someone like me. Not a endless trail of $$$ that you see on Gas Monkey.

Guest marlin65

Forgot to mention Fantom Garage. Neat shop, anyone ever been there? I'd sweep the floors just to hang out there! Ed Dade City,Fl

Seriously, you are in the business and fakery sets your teeth on edge? That must be something like being a pastry chef with diabetes, or an ultimate fighting ref who faints at the sight of blood.

Have you ever thought of getting into some other line of work?

Thanks for the kind post, Rusty. I guess you believe every car dealer is a crook, every businessman a cheat, every restoration shop an overpriced scam and every filmmaker produces nothing but fake garbage. We recently returned from Africa after a six week shoot documenting the devastation of AIDS on the continent. I'm very proud of the work we did there. I'm also proud of the work I did on the PBS Nova series, including a two hour show on building the first cable suspension bridge across the Mississippi. I filmed scenes in a steel shaft eighty feet down in the river and shot from the top of a 380 foot bridge tower. I have no intention of changing professions and have enjoyed almost every minute of my 43 year career. The technical people on these car shows do good work, sometimes they are not responsible for what a director or producer does with the footage. I have quit shoots were I've felt the production was heading in the wrong direction.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I certainly would not waste my time denigrating it in a personal attack, nor would I want to.

It has been said that a person's mind is more active when he sleeps

than when he is watching television.

Wow ! This thread has been a real heads-up for me . Tired , old , failing eyesight , inability to concentrate as when younger , I also have wasted too much time on TV . I have also squandered precious time on some of these shows . Been about a month without TV now , and getting much more done ! Reading , if we are still able , is far more valuable . Talking books can help . I tried getting through Steven Hawkins "Brief History Of Time" a number of years ago . As does almost anyone , I hit a wall at one point . Bought the talking book and listened to it on a road trip . Able to rewind when lost , I got carried through to the end . Very worthwhile ! ( sure wish my ancient memory had more retentive capacity ) . Now as OP has defended valuable TV , I couldn't possibly agree more ! There is a huge amount of fascinating content , factual and entertaining . The trick is to draw the line , and eliminate drivel and ads . I think I will try to go another month without , and try to censor if I fall back into it . Seems , as you all corroborate , that now more than ever , TV is mostly a wasteland . HEADS-UP , friends . -Carl

If someone was to make a parody of these shows, or if someone actually IS, how would we know?

Friday night PBS ran a good special on Judy Garland. I watched it. I'm still reading Probabilistic Models of the Brain. That fodder will have to wait.

Bernie

If someone was to make a parody of these shows, or if someone actually IS, how would we know?

Hey , Bernie : you flat nailed it there ! The more I think about this , the funnier it seems ! Got a few tears of laughter right now ! I guess that shows I have already wasted too much time on that "reality" ( ? ) rot . Thanks , man ! - C Carl

I agree with Pomeroy41144:

"Reality TV is garbage--pure and simple. Totally contrived and geared for the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has ruined once great channels like the History Channel, Discovery and A&E. I will not watch this BS. Do you self a favor--instead of watching this crap and encouraging the cable networks to produce more, go out and work on your real car. No contrived arguments, no drama, no bs time deadlines."

Hmmmmm , yeah , thanks for the kick in the right direction , guys . I have a real nice '24 Cad 7 pass touring which resents any time I spend away from it . Needs to get on the road this Spring & Summer . Should be a group of "Televidiots Annonymous" . Call a member if you are tempted to lapse . Get that needed kick . If all goes well , I might be wandering around Portland Swap with the usual pizza box on my back . This time it will be looking for a FLAT AMBER/YELLOW GLASS DRUM BUCKET FOG LIGHT FOR MY '27 CADILLAC , AND TOP RESTS FOR MY '24 CAD . Surely no TV for that duration . Very motivating comments here . TV . Watching " Someone getting your kicks for you " . DO IT WHILE WE STILL CAN ! - Carl

????? Taylormade you are the one complaining TV is phony not me. I know it is phony that is why I quit watching it a long time ago. You say some of it (a few documentaries) is not phony. That may be true but even documentary makers have a viewpoint and some don't mind twisting the facts to get their point across.

The fact that it is phony does not stop me from enjoying TV on occasion, it just stops me from believing everything I see. This does not bother me as much as it seems to bother you.

Okay, I surrender. I agree with ever post above, no matter what was said, and will never complain again. Must be the cold weather that's turning me into an old grump. Sorry, I have to leave my computer now and chase those neighbor kids off my front lawn, the little...

I think the sad side of exploiting a legitimate business, in my mind, is the two shops, one near Buffalo and one near Rochester, that I chose not to stop in because I didn't want to risk dealing with the personalities portrayed on TV. I spend money, I didn't stop. Someone lost a bag of groceries.

And if the legitimate guy lost the groceries............... Darwin said it ain't supposed to work that way.

Anyone interested in a bumper sticker "Reality TV, Survival of the Lamest!" I'll get some made. It is exploitative but I know a print shop run by midgets and I can film the stickers being made.

1924 Cadillac and staged reality, huh? How about 1923?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnlRU7M83k

. I just imagine the 2015 update on that one!

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
I agree with Pomeroy41144:

"Reality TV is garbage--pure and simple. Totally contrived and geared for the lowest common denominator. Reality TV has ruined once great channels like the History Channel, Discovery and A&E. I will not watch this BS. Do you self a favor--instead of watching this crap and encouraging the cable networks to produce more, go out and work on your real car. No contrived arguments, no drama, no bs time deadlines."

Couldn't have said it better! It's pretty bad when they show a car being restored by multiple guys, two installing the interior and one buffing the paint splattering compound everyway in sight with the doors opened. I'd love to see any of these cars finished. This is what the hobby is becoming. The public watches this and thinks our cars are done the same sad way..........pure crap!

Forgot to mention Fantom Garage. Neat shop, anyone ever been there? I'd sweep the floors just to hang out there! Ed Dade City,Fl

If you mean fantom works then yes I have been there and there is a lot of reality in that show which would explain the lack of interest in said show.

The reality of gas monkey type shows is in the workmanship and they never put the cameras in a position to see much of that. Sometimes the cameras do catch misaligned fenders and hoods on what they are calling a finished car.