Holsman 1908 Buggy

Guest John Charles Cooper

Hi All, I am still not sure about the electrical connection for the Holsman 1908 buggy. I hope the diagram and photo will help someone guide me through the setup of the Duplex Coils and get my motor running. No lights or generator will be needed. Thanks again John

post-107408-14314302746_thumb.jpg

post-107408-143143027464_thumb.jpg

Hi All, I am still not sure about the electrical connection for the Holsman 1908 buggy. I hope the diagram and photo will help someone guide me through the setup of the Duplex Coils and get my motor running. No lights or generator will be needed. Thanks again John

Dear John,

I will attempt to help you. I own a 1906 Holsman and I believe the ignition systems are the same. I hope your engine has two spark plugs per cylinder, one in the removable head and one short reach plug on the side near the valves(these often times were plugged-they have to be a very short reach plug or they interfere with the valves). Both front and rear plugs fire at the same time every cycle off the timer/circuit breaker. The large bakelite connections on the bottom of the box are for your spark plugs. The terminals on the bottom of the box are power connections. Your vehicle should have two sets of batteries, in that era ( 6 each)- 1 1/2 volt dry cell batteries, tied together to give you 9 volts. The switch(s) on the front of the box are wired for a "never leave you stranded" system. The position of the switch straight up and down as shown in the photo is off. The position of the switch crosswise or horizontal should be wired so that it activates both sets of batteries, two coils, with one set of plugs now connected to the timer for opposite cylinders. With the switch in a 45 degree angle to the right(or left) will activate one set of batteries, one set of plugs(opposite cylinders-such as the end plugs), and one coil. The switch turned 45 degrees in the opposite direction (say to the right) will activate the opposite set of batteries, the opposite set of plugs (the side) and the opposite coil. The second switch on the front of the box will do exactly the same thing in the event of switch failure. Basically this is the ultimate system that anyone could imagine for redundancy. The purpose Mr Holsman had in mind was if any part of the system failed you could get to your destination. If you do not want to wire up this whole system as I have explained and as designed, operate the system with one "on" position on one switch only. Connect it to operate one set of plugs with one wire off the timer (I suggest end plugs), one coil and one battery(I use a modern 6 or 8 volt gel-cell).

Hope this helps, Diane

Thanks Diane, The info was exactly what I needed. I’ve tested the unit and the tremblers worked. I’ll have to wait for the motor to be resembled to fully test it. Just one other question. How is the ‘earth wire’ (that goes to the timber) attached? Is it on the timer mechanism itself or just grounded to the body? Here is a photo of the timer.

post-107408-143143050161_thumb.jpg

Thanks Diane, The info was exactly what I needed. I’ve tested the unit and the tremblers worked. I’ll have to wait for the motor to be resembled to fully test it. Just one other question. How is the ‘earth wire’ (that goes to the timber) attached? Is it on the timer mechanism itself or just grounded to the body? Here is a photo of the timer.

I have used a ground wire off the frame of the engine anywhere you can. Mine goes to the bracket holding the crank handle mechanism and the other end to battery ground. My timer top and bottom terminals go to the trembler coil. Though you really only need one terminal on the timer as it fires on both intake and exhaust. Hope this is clear if not let me know and I will try again. Good luck and I do hope happy motoring.Diane