Select 60, pinstripes?

Cargirl

1990 select 60 convertibles were all built with the pin stripe delete option. So, none came from the factory with pin stripes. If you see one now that has them, they were added after they left the factory. The RPO code tag on these cars will include a code for pin-stripe delete, though I don't recall what the code is. The tag would also lack a code for pin-stripe color as it wouldn't be specificed for a car without them. As well, all were built with black body moldings, not white.

Be aware also that a number of 91's were built as "clones" of select 60's on special order, as there were white wheels and white interior trim and seats left over from 1990. These could be ordered as options on a 91 'vert rendering a car that would appear to be identical to a 1990 s/60. Some of these may have been (and probably were) ordered with pin-stripes. Some may have had white body moldings as well. These cars would not have a select 60 marketing code on the RPO tag as those built in 1990 would have. Of course, they also had all the standard improvements of the 91 models (revised engine, ABS, etc.) so are fairly easy to identify as not being 1990 cars without looking at the RPO tag.

KDirk

I am attaching a Service Parts Label for a 1990 Select Sixty. This label (on any Reatta) is the cars DNA and tells how it was built. There are several things on the label that give very specific information to help identify these cars.

White seats are identified by the "116" code (decoded "11" = white "6" = leather)

N60 = white 16" wheels

YL6 = pinstripe delete

R1V = GM internal code for the package

All 1990 Select Sixty's were loaded so they would have A80 & A81 codes for the 16 ways seats, and the U1H Radio with CD player option.

post-30596-143143027669_thumb.jpg

This next statement is up for disagreement but in terms of Reatta rarity, there are other cars that are rarer (lower production) than the Select Sixty and as noted in Dirk's post above, in 1991 there were 5 Reattas built with white seats. These are documented cars and would be much rarer than a SS60

900372 was a White car with white seats and blue trim (carpet and steering wheel would be blue)

900381 White exterior, white seats/red trim and no other options

900561 Blue exterior, white seats/blue trim....

900615 White exterior, white seats/blue trim.

900616 White exterior, one source shows white seats/red trim another shows red seats...car was scrapped so we may never know.

In 1991 the white seat were a $100 option and could be ordered on standard or 16 way seats...... the white wheels were also a $100 option but only available on white cars.

Examples of other very low production color combinations are...... these are all 1991 convertibles

900349 Grey convertible with blue interior.... only 1 made

900477 Burgandy convertible with RED interior..... only 1 made

900341 & 900609 Silver convertibles with RED interior..... only 2 made

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Does anyone have any thoughts or speculation on why the powers that be decided that the 60's would not have a pinstripe? I am not sure about the numbers but I would guess of the approx 21,000 Reattas sold 19,000 had pinstripes on them. Myself, I am really torn as to whether I like pinstripes or pinstripe delete. I change my mind everytime I think about it. Since they added black side moldings you can say that they did decide to have an accent for the car and wanted a more clean look by eliminating the pinstripe. C4 Corvettes, of which I have had many, had a black side moldings and GM never added a pinstripe to that car. Just food for thought.

Why...... we may never know

Since you are associated with the Olds club, I have an Olds story. In 1973 when the new Cutlass body came out a few magazines tested the (also new) Cutlass Supreme Salon sedan. It was exactly what I needed.

When I talked to the owner of my small town Chevy, Buick, Olds dealer (who sold almost exclusively 4 dr sedans and P/U trucks) could not understand why anyone would want bucket seats and especially in a 4 dr sedan.

After a long discussion and agreement on a price he did order a dark brown salon with tan interior. It was the first Cutlass to have radial tires standard, unfortunately they were Firestone 721's which delaminated and I replaced them before there was a settlement with Firestone (I have yet to buy another Firestone tire) Drove that Cutlass for almost 9 years and went to a '82 Toronado. That same dealer never sold a Corvette, Riviera, or Toronado because of his customer base, was forced by GM to build a new place on the interstate and in recent years is in the top 20 Chevy dealers in the US and has been the largest Corvette dealer in Texas.

Guest my3buicks

I am not a fan of no pin stripe either, and I am usually not a fan of the all black side molding, but somehow it just seems to all work together on the SS.

I much prefer pin stripes, especially on the Reatta. All mine have pin stripes but I rubbed them off the scrub 88 as they were looking really bad (fading) and the car needs a repaint anyway. I don't care for it without the pin stripes, just looks kind of bare. I do prefer body color moldings as it looks cleaner and more contemporary to my eye.

I will say I think the darker colors (garnet, polo green, sapphire blue) look better without pin stripes than white, silver and champaign do. Still like Reattas better with than without irrespective of the color.

KDirk