PCV Valves 64 Riviera

Bill Stoneberg

I replaced my PCV valve as part of my engine rebuild and I am not sure it is working or maybe installed properly.

When I was trying to start the car yesteday, it was acting like I had a vacumn leak. I started chasing that and found that if I plugged the port that the pcv valve cam in on, it started and ran with no issues. If I connected it to the PCV valve, it would not run.

I have the PCV valve in the valve cover, large end down and the hose connected to port on the back of the carb opposite of where the power brake booster goes.

Any idea ??

So luckily I have a spare PCV valve, brand new, and the same as the one in the car. I looked and played with that including putting a vacuum on both sides. The large end holds a vacuum thile the small end doesn't. After searching the manual I see I have the PCV in backwards. Like I tell my users about the software they are using RTM (Read the manual).

After more reading last night, I found this daiagram on how the PCV valve works.

It just left me with more questions, like why does it seem to me that my PCV valve is backwards ?

Ed or Jason, Is the large end of your PCV valve towards the carb base or stuck in the valve cover ?

post-30710-143143027675_thumb.jpeg