Hi all...first time post '36 Dodge sedan delivery

Guest wishbone

Guest wishbone

Howdy!

I've lurked around on this site from time to time and even post a couple of times in the Lincoln Zephyr section...but those days are gone and now I'm starting up on my dad's 1936 Dodge Delivery. It's the humpback type (we have affectionately always called it the "Hunch Back") and it's in rough shape. He bought it when he was 15 yrs old and drove it until I was 15 or 16. I'm now 43 and would like to drag it out of the barn and make a go of it.

I've been spending most of my tinkering time on Hudsons and one '38 Packard Six....which I still have and might sell in order to have some money to put into the Hunch Back. I'm a amateur but like to do things as right as I can afford. Which usually means beautifully perfect running engines and drive-train, but never a paint job or new interior have I seen. Oh well... Maybe this old Dodge will be a different story.

I (and my brother and sister) have sort of held this old truck up on a pedestal ever since our father passed 16 years ago. After he died I carefully (or so I remember) rolled it into the barn and boarded up the walls and door. It has sat there ever since gathering dust and probably little furry inhabitants. I say probably because I now live in Northern California and the Hunch Back still resides in Montana out of my site and attention. My son and I have decided to take a trip up there to retrieve the old girl and while there say hi to grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins. He's now 16 and it's high time to have some father son adventure. Of course he is wishing that it was a '69 Firebird we were after, but hey...he got time to develop a sense of taste.

About the Hunch Back: I have many memories of bouncing around in that thing. We often broke down, but it was usually something simple like wiring that just decided it had enough, or a too many times rebuilt carburetor full of cheap dirty gas, or...just plain out of gas! As far as I can remember, it never had a grill...other than the one my old man made out of expanded metal with white painted stripes. He painted the body a dark maroon and ran blackwall tires (or any tire that held air). I remember him riveting some sheet metal on one of the fenders. Probably to repair a stress crack. In fact, I think there are a couple of places like that. I don't remember any rust, just dents and cracks. Also the interior is less than spartan. Not the correct seat and some home spun vinyl door panels. Come to think of it, probably where I learned my interior decorating skills.

The Hunch Back was parked when I was in high school because he found a '50 Studebaker pickup that was in a bit better shape and promised to be everything the panel wasn't Well two pickups actually...and he painted them both the same color in order to make it easier to switch the plates when one wasn't running. I know what you're thinking, "a typical back-woods lawless man"...probably the only guy to do such a thing... But hey, there were fish to catch and mom's VW couldn't carry the canoe and some winter firewood on the way home.

Well, there you have it. I hope to post here as things go along. I'll definitely post some photos. I know how much we all love photos of sweet old rusty curves. I also plan to lean on some folks here on this site for some advice and possibly try to talk you out of a part or two...

thanks for enduring the long post.

Cheers, Wishbone

Welcome

A lot of good knowledgeable people on here. We have about 14 Dodge Humpbacks. 1933 to 1938. 1/2 ton and larger.

Have many parts for sale for these old Dodges.

We are going to a BBQ in Clements CA April 4th. Try to make it. We are taking our 34 Dodge Humpback that just saw daylight the 1st time in 10 years.

post-78906-14314302633_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026327_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314302629_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026293_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026296_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026299_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026302_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026305_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026308_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026312_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026315_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026318_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026321_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143143026323_thumb.jpg

Guest wishbone

Hey thanks for the invite. Probably can't make it to this one. Wish I had the panel already and could make the trek. Sounds like a to opportunity to meet other wing nuts who love old Dodges....or maybe be the only wing nut at an old truck BBQ.

-Wishbone