GAS

51dyno

We are back up to about 2.45 in central Florida. That is up about 40 cents from the low about a month ago. I think some of it is because the producers are switching to their summer blend gas and it always seems to cut in to production while they make the change.

Guest Bob Call

Yes refineries are off line at this time to make the switch for summer blend production. Because of the down time wholesalers use up their surplus and the prices go up.

We are paying around $1.25 a litre for ulp and $1.34 for 98 octane ulp That works out to be roughly $5.00 AU $ for an American gallon We were up around $1.55 before the slump in the price of crude The Australian Govt wacks a fair slug of excise on our fuels both gasoline diesel and LPG I believe that we are not the most expensive country in the world for fuel but we are a big country and prices are sky high in remote areas Can be as high as $2.50 per litre

There are, traditionally, three fabricated annual price cycles for retail gasoline. During the rising cycle wholesale and retail pricing is very close. Sometimes it is changed on an hourly basis. During the price decline there is a greater spread between wholesale and retail that allows a profit to the retailer. Without the cycles you wouldn't find a gasoline station.

About ten years ago I did some thorough research into the gasoline retail business. The three annual cycles make the business case to buy a gas station. I tried to find one for sale and the nearest available was about 80 miles away. Most are owned in groups. And in my area. many whom have bought a station have added more over the years.

It is a lucrative business and I would still have an interest in one within 20 miles. Problem is, they are all locked in to larger companies now. Gas prices are like your old Hugh School physics problem with recoil in a spring. The energy never goes negative.

Bernie

$1.99 here in Virginia an hour ago. Will probably fall more before it's over with

If you subtract State and Fed. tax .What is the price then ? So far you show the lowest price, do you have a refinery next door? Thank to all that replied.

If you subtract State and Fed. tax .What is the price then ? So far you show the lowest price, do you have a refinery next door? Thank to all that replied.

The bottom line is all I care about, as we can not get any tax refunds from our state. The $1.99 was the only station at that price, the other 5-6 were around $2.01 thru 2.06.

Gas prices haven't spiked UP in the last week; they've spiked DOWN.

Our low this year was about $2.03 a gallon; then, as crude-oil prices

rebounded a bit, gas was up to $2.59 a gallon. Now it is $2.39 to $2.49

a gallon at stations near me (Pennsylvania).

Want cheap gas? The Wall Street Journal did a story (April 12, 2013):

When U. S. gas prices were in the mid-$3.00 range, prices in Kuwait

and Saudi Arabia were both well below $1.00 per gallon. And wait!

There's more:

"CARACAS, Venezuela--In this dilapidated tropical capital, most prices

go up monthly, and essentials like milk and flour are hard to find. But

one item is ubiquitous, and practically free: gasoline. Premium gasoline

in Venezuela costs 5.8 U. S. cents a gallon, using the official exchange

rate. At an informal currency exchange rate that prevails for most

transactions, it is even cheaper: 1.5 cents per gallon."

Many countries tax gas, some at extremely high rates. The countries

just cited subsidize gas prices, for one reason or another, likely to

win favor with their people.

Was out for lunch an hour ago and the station I use was 2.149 for regular. That's down about .10 from a couple of days ago. Funny, there was an article in the Dallas Morning News last week about the oil companies were running out of places to store oil waiting on prices to come back up so they could still make a profit on gasoline. The prices were just under 2.00 less than a month ago, even after the California refinery problem, then prices jumped about .20 in two days - go figure!

Has gas spiked in your are this last week. Does anyone know why ?

Gas is a commodity, and commodity prices are set by buying and selling futures. Investors apparently feel that now's a good time to bet the price will go up, and like a self-fullfilling prophesy, the act of buying futures at a higher prices sends the market price upward! Who knows why the traders are driving the price up- the ususal reasons are unrest in the middle east, refinery capacity, yada yada. None of it is based in logic.

Guest Bob Call

If you patronize CITGO convenience stores/gas stations you are helping to subsidize gasoline in Venezuela. CITGO was originally the marketing department of Cities Service Oil & Gas Company. When Cities was merged into Occidental Petroleum (Oxy), CITGO Petroleum was spun off as a separate company. In the 1990's CITGO Petroleum was acquired by PDV America, a wholly owned subsidiary of Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A., the government energy company.

$2.42/g, In Ne . But they wanted to raise the gas tax 23 cents more over the next three years.. To fix pot holes..( and roads)

They raised the wheel tax to fix pot holes.. From 25.00 to 110.00 per car. I now have 7 pot holes in front of my house for the last 16 years... Love taxes..

Yes for each car.. (personal car) I have the old cars mixed.. It has to be 1985 or older to get Vintage plates.

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Nick, where are you located, and what's a "wheel tax?"

You mean you have to pay $110.00 per car per year

just for the privilege of owning it?

Such a tax would be an impediment to enjoying a car collection.

Do they exempt antique vehicles? If not, I suspect the hobby

would be more vibrant in your state if that tax were removed!