1935 Pontiac business coupe rear-end

CMayden

I am looking for any information on a 9.5" ring and pinion or possibly replacing with another size ring gear if possible. I have recently started rebuilding a 1935 Pontiac business coupe that was sitting for at least 25 years. I tore into the rear-end to check out all the gears and bearings, and all the gears are far to pitted. The ring gear is 9.5" and a 4.56 (41-9) ratio, but I can't find any information on a 9.5" ring gear anywhere and my parts manual doesn't have a part number. I would prefer to go back with the 9.5" if possible, but was also wondering if it is possible to put a different ring and pinion and carrier in the car without replacing the whole axle tube. All help is appreciated.

Caleb

• 1 month later...

Caleb, I don't have an answer for you but would like to see a photo of the car you are working on. The last time I saw a 35 Coupe was 4 years ago. When I went back to buy it, the dealer had sold it to be shipped to Australia. Just curious where you found your car as I have been looking for years for another one and have yet to find one. Thanks.

According to my parts book the 1935 Pontiac only had two different gear sets.  Model 20 and 22 number 1767398 and model 21 number 1773912.  .

1767398 is a 40-9 ratio and was also used on model 21.after jobs with Hyatt 125630 rear bearing.

1773912 was also used in 1933. In 1935 it was used on first jobs with 901105 ND rear bearing it is also a 40-9 ratio.

Thanks for all the info. I did end up getting the ring and pinion that pont35cpe mentioned and I will checkout POCI. I found the car at a private residence in central Arkansas. This is the only picture of the whole car as the fenders, hood, and grill weren't attached so I removed everything for the transport and it has been in progress since.

Caleb

post-143146-0-53320500-1433556206_thumb.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I wish I could say almost done, but life happens.  It is currently a painted frame on jack stands.  The two things I really wanted to keep are the Dubonnet shocks and the straight 8, but the needle bearings on my shocks were destroyed and the front cross-member for my engine was rusted in half.  I finally found some shocks and new motor mounts so progress has resumed.  I am hoping to fire up the engine next week.  After that I am gonna assemble the suspension and drop the engine and transmission in.  I don't have any recent pics, but I'll snap some once I get her rolling.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...