antiqe car clubs changing times

Joe in Canada

I see CCCA has opened their doors to a much larger range of recognized cars now back to 1915 from 1925 just lapping into the brass nickel era of the HCCA club. http://www.classiccarclub.org/info_g...list_news.html The club only accepted cars from 1925 to 47 for 63 years and now rewrite the era by almost 50%. Is this to attract a larger membership or are their numbers dwindling and trying to prop it up. I remember one of the Chevy clubs going through some changes in what was acceptable in the club. If this is from falling memberships' what will clubs like example the Thunderbird or Reo clubs going to do with a very limited marques . I remember in the 70s and 80s when numbers were growing and of new regions and clubs forming. But to-day many of these clubs numbers have fallen in half and some gone. Is it possible that some of the smaller clubs may take example of the unions that are amalgamating to stay alive may do the same thing???? <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Unless you are a specialized club like Brass era, early Ford V8, Mopar muscle or something then I think clubs should set a minimum car age and leave it at that. Most clubs would either be classic (at leats 25 years old) or antique (at least 50 years old). They should not stop admitting newer cars just because they don't like cars from the late 80s-early 90s. The people buying a 93 Camaro and and fixing it up will be the same people that end up buying our cars when we die. ids have to start somewhere so the smart move is to embrace them now and let them grow with the club. A club could always do different shows if the guys with the high end restorations do not want to mingle with bone stock 89 Taurus.

Guest LateNightCable
They should not stop admitting newer cars just because they don't like cars from the late 80s-early 90s. The people buying a 93 Camaro and and fixing it up will be the same people that end up buying our cars when we die. ids have to start somewhere so the smart move is to embrace them now and let them grow with the club. A club could always do different shows if the guys with the high end restorations do not want to mingle with bone stock 89 Taurus.

I see nothing wrong with clubs remaining era specific.

It's a little like classic movies and television. For terms of classification, which is most important to you - subject matter, or age of subject matter? To some, anything they remember watching twenty years ago is "classic television". In my view classic tv is represented by a specific era. In the same vein regarding automobiles, there are ones I appreciate from the 80's and 90's, but to me, they will never be classic even in 100 years.

I think we've reached a point in history where we need other classifications beyond "vintage", "antique", and "classic". Because those titles will certainly be unfitting for vehicles that will be fifty years old in another fifteen to twenty years.

In architecture, there are numerous names for the various styles and design periods throughout history. From Gothic, to Baroque, to Colonial, to English tudor, to Mid-century modern, and on and on. All of those are descriptive of not only a particular style, but the age of their greatest popularity. Likewise, as automotive history grows deeper with every passing decade, the terminology we use to classify the age of an automobile should evolve.

The change as listed above is not correct. About 10 years ago the CCCA went back to a floating date. Example, any car that had an identical chassis in 25 could go back to its earlier starting date. Example, Pierce arrow was covered from 1921, as was Springfield Rolls Royce. Locomobile 48 chassis went back to 1916. A few other obscure makes also qualified. McFarlin, Cunningham, ext. All very small production number cars. now they are going after a few oddball machines with very low numbers. Crane-Simplex, the v-8 Cadillacs, twin six packard(not the six) ext. Most of the people who own these cars are already members of the CCCA, it won't improve membership. My only concern is they let is some lesser makes. When they tried to add later cars there was a revolt in the club that threatened it's exsistance. I am sure we won't see that again. Problem is today everybody must "fell good and fit in- and try to be all inclusive." That is not what the club was about. The current board members weren't around when the founders were making the bylaws. They think they know what a classic is........but almost none of them do. Ed Minnie

They should not stop admitting newer cars just because they don't like cars from the late 80s-early 90s.

This is the exact debate a local car club had ~10 years ago ... split the club in 2. The ironic part of it ... some of the guys with the oldest cars were the ones arguing FOR the "newer" cars to be allowed in the club. They realized, I think, the importance of getting younger generations involved with cars ... to keep the clubs alive.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Look at everything that's come and gone" __ Bryan Adams __ 'Summer of 69'

Sometimes I ponder the concept of post war cars, those built from 1946 to current. That's almost 70 years. Prewar is a group from 1899 to 1942, getting to be more of a minority all the time.

The hobby can officially be considered 78 years old on Easter, http://www.myclassiccarcollection.com/WHT-1910-001.html

So one could figure the hobby is in its final years of a saeculum. We had four generations of economic and lifestyle changes since 1937. There are a few years left, but then, things don't happen as linearly as we would like.

Bernie

Yes, the hobby is older than A.A.C.A!

Emmert Swigart, founder of the Swigart Museum in

Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, began collecting

the earliest cars in the 1920's. Even by then, the

industry was evolving rapidly, and many of the earliest

makes had disappeared.

The lifespan of a hobby or a club can't be measured in

terms of human years. For instance, people were racing

horses and collecting coins centuries ago, and they still do.

So let your natural enthusiasm shine and get other people and

the next generation involved, always achieving more and

better things.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

General rule on this planet is that nothing remains static. Society,countries, population, climate, and yes even car clubs. They are evolving daily. Majority on this web forum are pro pre-war cars with a sprinkling of love for 50's iron, some liking 60's, still a bit of fondness for early 70's by a minority, and a general loathing for everything built after that. Irregardless of the fact that a car built in 1980 is now 35 years old they are shown nothing but scorn.

When I started driving in 1970-71 cars from the late 40's to early 60's were considered junk. That was fine by me as that was all I could afford. Mid 50's Ford products were my favorite. 35 year old cars (1935-36) were very hard to find, and were respected by all old car lovers.

A lot has changed since then including the amount of 35 yr old cars still functioning and able to be driven daily. Thats progress. Unfortunately our hobby has a serious hardening of the arteries and snobbery has set in.

eeluddy,

Over the years, I have collected mostly prewar cars, specifically Model A Fords. At the moment, I own 3 Buicks.

I will have to disagree with you a little. I do love my 1937 Buick but I also really enjoy my 1984 Riviera. I specifically bought a 1989 Buick Park Avenue for touring. I owned Rivieras when I was younger and still love the body style. I never owned a 1989 Park Avenue when I was young, but admired them. I love having a newer antique that is comfortable for driving across the country for touring.

There may be some people in the hobby that don't like the newer antiques but I am very happy with both of my 1980s HPOF certified Buicks.

eeluddy,

Over the years, I have collected mostly prewar cars, specifically Model A Fords. At the moment, I own 3 Buicks.

I will have to disagree with you a little. I do love my 1937 Buick but I also really enjoy my 1984 Riviera. I specifically bought a 1989 Buick Park Avenue for touring. I owned Rivieras when I was younger and still love the body style. I never owned a 1989 Park Avenue when I was young, but admired them. I love having a newer antique that is comfortable for driving across the country for touring.

There may be some people in the hobby that don't like the newer antiques but I am very happy with both of my 1980s HPOF certified Buicks.

I'm with you as I love both of those model Buicks. Modern antiques are great for long distance or short jogs. The 79-85 Riv's are a real favorite. I had an 83 Indy 500 Replica convertible that I loved. I ended up replacing it with an Allante' and still feel it was a mistake! But at the time I was in love with the Allante (both used). Also I had a Model A but it was a fake. A Shay replica that sure fooled a lot of people and with the Pinto motor and disc brakes hidden behind the fake front drums it was ok to drive in traffic. Case in point. That Shay is now 35 years plus old. As far I know it's still running and driving to shows just fine, but a few still turn their nose up at them.

So I have to jump in here. I was at an AACA region meeting. We were discussing this same problem. Some said Let 'em in, we need young members to continue this hobby. Others said if we let them and their new fangled high performance over made and readily available junk in the club, what is there left of the hobby. Some said "Who will buy our cars??" And finally heard was Don't let 'em in, there is nothing made in this date range and after that is ever going to be desirable, collectable or worth taking up space at a car show. The arguing went on for quite a while. When the dust settled the club made the decision that it would allow cars made during these dark times and their lunatic owners of garbage to be a part of our hobby, despite how godawfully uninteresting these POCs and every car made afterwards were.

The year was 1981, the cars most discussed were the unlovable, uninteresting, and absolutely undesirable '57 Chevys and every single vehicle made after that date. I wonder how many of you now feel this was a bad idea that would eventually lead to the collapse of our club and the automobile hobby as a whole???

And the second parable: At the Chattanooga Glidden Tour, I watched a recorded interview with the 1956 AACA president recorded during the 1956 Glidden tour and he said the same thing, that he couldn't imagine a single car made at that time or afterwards that would EVER be desirable or interesting.

My kids have been around cars all their life - from very early veteran's to today's offerings. They (15 &19) keep talking about a collector level 240 series Volvo wagon or VW bus. Not my cuppa but to imagine that their boys grow up laughing and goofing around the garage like their great grandpa( my dad) and great great grandpa did, maybe even over the very same cars, let's me know that the things I do this hobby for will be okay.

Over my lifetime of 70+ years, I have had a few cars that were just old rides when I had them and were not considered anything anyone would be interested in at the time. Wish I had a few of them today. A few that come to mind are a 55 Crown Vic that I had in about 1970. Then a beautiful baby blue 67 Cadillac in the 80's. Also a 69 Dodge pickup that I owned for about 14 years and sold for almost nothing when I moved and had no place for it. There were others, but these stand out as being of little value at that point in time, but while not rare, would be an interesting ride today.

I agree with Sambarn. When the Beatles came on the music seen in the early 60s rock and role my dad would turn off the radio when ever he got in my car. Now when I get in my sons car I do the same thing not wanting to listen to rap and I suppose my grand kids will do the same thing to my sons with their music. I think they call it what interests you and what you relate to.

Dumbing down, and rewriting history has a lot to do with it. Bob

I can always count on Bob to state my opinion first!

Putting apples with oranges is futile and a waste of time. Clubs are a victim of the changing times and social habits so letting in a few newer cars in will not change that. I would argue that each club should remain true to their original intent. If they don't have an audience for that anymore then maybe the club won't exist.

Also, original post is incorrect and Ed is right. The additions the CCCA made will probably add about 20 more cars and 2 members total. It is more about making the inclusion rules on the front end years more logical.