Vintage Fan Belt (Model L Lincoln)

Friartuck

Any good parts supplier (NAPA for example) can supply you with a modern replacement. An original or NOS belt is not worth anything if you are driving the vehicle very much. The are usually rotten or rotting and can fail at any time. My modern belt would not pass judging but I have a couple of NOS that I could change in a couple of minutes. You should look up the original specs for your belt (OD, ID, width and angle of sides) take that info and they can get you a belt almost overnight.

Documenting this thread for other viewers. This turned out to be not such an easy question and answer. The original belt is a victim of obsolescence, so for the purposes of documenting a replacement fan belt for model L Lincoln, I offer the following information:

The Gates 372 is 1 inch wide, 9/16 inch thick, and 39 inches long at the outer circumference. It actually has a National Stock Number (NSN): 3030-00-269-9704. A DAYCO 28345 (20A0875??) is 7/8 inch wide and 35.25 inches long. Its shorter than the original, but since its narrower and rides lower in the pulley, the shorter length may not be a problem. Earlier manufactured DAYCO 28345 belts are smooth whereas newer ones seem to have a ribbed outside (not suitable for a show car). A Gates 822 is 1 inch wide and 36 inches long which maybe too short, but its available from truck parts suppliers. A C36 is 7/8 inch wide and 40 inch long. The C36 was shown as available from: http://www.tractorjoe.com Its used in agriculture, not automotive. While the C36 is slightly longer, it maybe within range of the fan's adjustment. NAPA was not able to list any suitable replacement.

Edited by Friartuck
Added additional Info (see edit history)

All my catalogues list proper dimensions including the angle of the sides. No cross reference to/from other manufacturers. Trying to find a belt from dimensions amongst 900 pages is difficult. Perhaps if we knew what the vehicle was it would help. Model L narrows it down to 46 different makes in my catalogue. Just trying to help but need information to work with.

FT: That 1" is a killer...have you considered:

741T---383/4 x 1 1/16 x 50

127T---391/2 x 29/32 x 46

174T---393/4 x 1 1/32 x 46

Oh, wait...oops, sorry...from 1950 catalog...

(Sigh)...only one of the three shown in a 69 Dayco cross-index is the 127T=Dayco 971...

Try to locate a Gates distributor in your area; you might look at a company that carries Gates hydraulic hose parts as they may have access or try a HD truck sales company or industrial equipment dealer. There are industrial belts that may come close to your automotive belt. Gates industrial used to be marked A, B C and D for different widths, some will interchange with automotive. My Gates antique application book 1911-1980 does not show anything older than 1936 for Lincoln.