Cleaning out garage, Ford flathed engines and parts.

Guest jandya

Guest jandya

I need to figure out a fair price for some left over flathead stuff.

1949 flathead V8. Pulled out of a '49 woody in '51 and still has all its old wiring and oily dirt. Stored indoors since '51 and taking a wrench to it shows it still turns over. Flywheel, clutch, starter and generator intact. I can find the carb if pressed.

19?? flathead V8. Looks to have been rebuilt at least once. Turns over. Got both water pumps but no other accessories. It has a 2bbl carb intake manifold but I will throw in a 4bbl manifold that I have laying around somewhere.

Bare flathead V8 block. Cast in bell housing. Hole in the rear of #1 cylinder. Could be a casting flaw because the block looks unused. A sleeve should fix it.

I also have a cam, three sets of iron heads, a bunch of valves and springs, a 3 speed trans with electric overdrive, 6 pistons and a complete '49 ford rear end. If I root around some I mind find those connecting rods and bearings I saw a decade or so ago. I may even have set of water pumps.

It would be a crime to keep these antique parts now that I'm not going to use them. The sooner I can figure out what they are worth the sooner I can list them and get them into hands that will put them back on the road.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

andya@cableone.net

Guest jandya

I might add that if there is enough interest, I will pull and post a complete inventory of all the parts and tools that I bought for this now abandoned project. After all these are gone I will have a rolling engine stand and engine hoist to unload.

Guest Bob Call

Jandya

Unless you can show that the blocks don't have cracks across the valve seats and pockets they won't have much value. These cracks are common and because there were so many flatheads around one would just swap in another engine. I would say if you have a good re-buildable flathead it should be worth $500.

I hope you can find people that can use these things so they won't have to go to the scrap yard.

Guest jandya
You should post photos of the blocks. Some years are more in demand than others.

I plan to. The 19?? engine will have to be dug out from under stuff. Then hoisted into the sunlight for the first time in over a decade.

Guest jandya
Jandya

Unless you can show that the blocks don't have cracks across the valve seats and pockets they won't have much value. These cracks are common and because there were so many flatheads around one would just swap in another engine. I would say if you have a good re-buildable flathead it should be worth $500.

I hope you can find people that can use these things so they won't have to go to the scrap yard.

Good point, except, to have these engines torn down and magnafluxed may cost me more than than they are worth. Even if I sent them out to be rebuilt professionally they may not be worth it when it comes time to sell them. It might be possible to tear down these two and part them out to pay for checking the blocks but that sounds like too much work for one little old man to take on these days.

It might be that 3 cents a pound for scrap iron is sounding better and better.

What about if I drag these bums down to the local rod shop and have them whup me up a rat rod? I am selling my 2013 Harley Road King Classic. That will cover some of the costs. Won't be as fast as my 556HP supercharged Cadillac but it might be fun to take on a cruise.

BTW good advice. Thanks.

Guest Bob Call

You don't have to magnaflux the blocks. If they are cracked in the valve seat area it can be seen just by pulling the heads. May have to wire brush away the carbon buildup but they can be seen with the naked eye.

Guest jandya

Phew! That I can do myself. The bare block I can check easily. The other two I'll try to get to this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.