14 x 6 Rally wheels for a 1967 Skylark/GS

priariecanary

I am looking for a set of 14 x 6 rally wheels for a 66 or 67 Skylark or GS. 4-1/2 inch backspacing with 813 rim code and JK bead type. There are lots of 14 x 6 rally wheels that will fit my car, I am looking for an original set for a 1967 GS400 if anybody has some that they are willing to part with. Thanks.

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-14314302181_thumb.jpgI am sure you know and the correct backspace should land you the correct wheels, but the picture I have posted, where I have the black line drawn should be flush. No offset. The wheel shown is later.

That may help others looking to know what you are looking for.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]300327[/ATTACH]I am sure you know and the correct backspace should land you the correct wheels, but the picture I have posted, where I have the black line drawn should be flush. No offset. The wheel shown is later.

That may help others looking to know what you are looking for.

Thanks for the photo and info. That should help.

Have 14x6 wheels but the stand off is about 3 9/16" if I remember the no. is 850 will not know untill get them down .there up buy the ceiling behind 2 cars.

unless you are interested I don't want to take them down.

John Hanson

Not sure about the 850 code but 3 9/16 backspacing sounds like a 14 inch wheel from a late '70s car. Thanks for the reply. I don't think you will have to bother getting them down.

• 4 weeks later...

I too would be interested in set--curious does the source where you found the wheels have additional? I would like the original just to keep as original as possible. Mine GS not a show car but part of the fun is putting it back as close to original as possible. I presently have keystone mags which I think are period correct but over sized and the rears rub the fenders.

Rod

I too would be interested in set--curious does the source where you found the wheels have additional? I would like the original just to keep as original as possible. Mine GS not a show car but part of the fun is putting it back as close to original as possible. I presently have keystone mags which I think are period correct but over sized and the rears rub the fenders.

Rod

I got the wheels from a V8Buick board member "Buicknos". I had a parts wanted ad posted there in addition to here. I am not sure if he is a member of the AACA forum but I am guessing he is. I think "Buicknos" is affiliated with or owns Cars, Inc.

I bought his last 4 wheels in "A" condition which equates to used but really nice condition plus a "B" wheel to use as a spare. The "B" wheel is in a little bit rougher condition but still good for a driver. He has more "B" condition wheels so he might be able to set you up. He is a very nice guy and worked with me on delivery and payment method, very good to do business with.

Stacey

Why was it significant to have the exact right wheel? Don't they look about the same on the outside? Who is going to know if one is an 850 or an 813. With regard to the backspace, would the 850 rub the backing plate or what?

Short answer - I think just about any rally wheel with the right bolt circle would work. The original wheels in '67 look a little "flatter" from the outside and have centers that are painted Argent Silver instead of black. Other than that they look like pretty much any other 14 inch rally.

Long answer - I like my my cars to be as close to original as possible. My '67 is pretty much all there and as it was when it was built in Flint. It is missing the California Smog system (I am looking for one), has 15 inch rally wheels with raised white letter tires, and the seat covers aren't original. It has had one repaint. Other than that it is very original. I want to be be able to take it back to the way it was built when it left the factory once I find all the missing pieces. There is no rational reason for this other than that's what I like in old cars. Now that I have the correct wheels I am going to get some 14 inch bias-ply redline tires (just as the car had when new), which is probably a head scratcher to some people too.

post-96174-143143075374_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

The center portion on the 67 sat out almost flush with the outer portion of the wheel - you can see the black mark I drew, the 67 wheel would not have enough offset/backset for me to have draw that.

67 Wheels do NOT use the argent silver, they are black. I believe 66 was the last year for the argent.

Do you have the original window sticker? I ask that jokingly as your car maybe came with whitewalls and Wheel covers or whitewalls and chrome wheels lol. I would think your car was built in Fremont if it was a California car with smog pump.

Do you have the original window sticker?

Thanks for the info.

I don't have the window sticker but I do have the original purchase order for the car. It was purchased by a guy from Minnesota who was stationed in California while serving in either the Marines or Navy, not sure which one. He ordered it in California via the Peninsula Fleet Services but picked it up in Detroit and drove it back to California, probably via Minnesota.

The original options on the car are as follows;

Reclining Strato buckets

Headrests

Deluxe seat belts

Retractable seat belts

Full console with tachometer

Positraction

Air conditioning

Tinted glass

Power brakes

Power steering

AM/FM radio

Automatic Transmission

Redline tires

A scan of the purchase order is below.

post-96174-143143077322_thumb.jpg

You can see a note on the upper left corner of the document that says "Detroit Pickup" Out-the-door price was $3931.22 and it looks like the car was ordered before '67 model year pricing was finalized.

I haven't actually seen the rally wheels I bought for the car yet, the seller dropped them off at a relatives house in New Jersey. So I guess I wasn't sure about the argent silver center color anyway.

Since rally wheels aren't listed on the purchase order does that mean the car originally came with steel wheels and hubcaps? Not that I am going to go out and find a set of those now, I like the way the rally wheels look.

Edited by priariecanary (see edit history)

Thanks for the info. Once you get the wheels if you don't mind let me know what you think of the "B" wheel. I haven't taken a lot of time looking but have kept my eye out. I, like you, am trying to keep car as original as possible. I had a brand new 67 GS when a kid and that is the reason I purchased the one I have. See yours is convertible--that is really what I wanted just didn't have patience to find one I wanted. I did repaint mine original yellow and all new interior including dashboard all to original. Thanks for response and if you don't mind send me a pm and I will contact BuickNOS about the wheels.

• 5 months later...
Guest Barneys_Bud

Just bought a set of Torque thrust 15 X 7 wheels thinking I would put them on our newly acquired 67 Skylark.  After a lot of polishing and fussing around  I decided to do a fitment check.  The front would be ok however they are too wide and have too shallow of a back space for the rear.  My Bad!  The car does have skirts on it.  Can anyone tell me what wheels (other than the hub cap) will fit on it.

I would like to keep a stock appearance since I just purchased it from it's original owner.  This ride is amazing since it spent most of it's life in a garage.

post-84160-0-02191100-1444929518_thumb.j