A must have for the Anglophile, Retro Tourist of the UK or just an armchair adventurer..

For Sale.

Definitely something for the Anglophile, "Retro" Tourist or "Arm-chair" Adventurer.

post-51681-143143019474_thumb.jpg.

The AA Road Book of England and Wales, Second Edition (1938.) Over 500 pages including 24 coloured maps.

Cover slightly damaged but otherwise, whilst used, in excellent condition down to the original place marker.

The AA Road Book of Scotland. First Edition (1938).Over 400 pages including 14 coloured maps.

In excellent condition and absolutely unmarked. (mint).

Fascinating reading and a must have for anyone embarking on a Grand Tour of the United Kingdom.

UK £75 the pair plus postage. Aust $150 the pair plus postage. USA $100 the pair plus postage.

Bernie Jacobson (61)(03)98425808 Australia.<twooldlags@gmail.com>

post-51681-143143019398_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143143019409_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143143019426_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14314301944_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143143019449_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143143019461_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Nice books. I've picked up a few of these over the years, and was especially interested in those from Scotland from the teens and 20s. We lived there and actually used a 1920s edition once to find some back roads and old garages along the way. They show amazing detail. I have a few treasures from that adventure in my collection of collections. I'm glad I was able to buy them when I did as they seem to have really gone up in price.

Unfortunately they have not printed these since 1938. I cannot remember what I paid for them in 1977 but they were not cheap them. It is like the cost of Petrol in the UK. Last year we paid around UK£1.75 per litre. Here in Australia we still pay Aust$1.50 / $1.75 per litre for 98. Have you bought a bottle of Scotch Whisky lately?

Bj.

Ah my favorite adult beverage! Yes, I buy single malt when ever I can find something that I can't buy locally. Thoroughly enjoyed our time in Scotland learning all about it and enjoying it. Nothing beats a quiet evening by the fire place with a wee dram and bagpipes in the background! FYI they must have published them much later than 1938 - see ebay item 400883250453 (circa 1950s). They certainly are enjoyable books, especially when you look at the old roads. There were some small towns that were literally isolated when new modern roads were constructed around them. Found a lot of neat old out-of-the-way garages by following those old routes. I bought some of mine around the same time frame, but a good friend recently presented one to me as a gift at Christmas. It's dated 1925. Equally interesting are the Contour Road maps. The oldest one I've got is 1904.

Happy collecting,

Terry

Hello Terry

I am afraid I did not make myself very clear, I was refering to my particular books when I said that they have not been printed since 1938. A little obtuse perhaps. Despite living in Australia we have done a great deal of touring in England and Scotland. We have been taking our 1934 Lagonda Rapier to the UK and Europe every five years since 1984 with one extra trip in 1996 for the UK based Fiva Rally in that year. Our longest stay has been five months. Last year we drove the Lagonda 5,500 miles in three months. Our favourite past-time in Europe is climbing Historic Alpine Passes. We have quite a formidable "bragging list" starting with the Highest Road Pass in Europe. In case you do not recognise the location. The first photograph is of my wife Helen and the Lagonda Rapier in the car park at the summit of the Stelvio Pass, The second is of Helen and I enjoying a brisk run in the same car on the Australian Mille (1,000 Miles in four days) and finally Helen with the Lagonda Rapier last year on our arrival at the Normandy Hotel at St James (in Normandy, France) after a rather wet drive. We have owned the Lagonda since 1979 and have covered just a few miles short of 100,000 in it since I first restored it in 79-80.

post-51681-143143027304_thumb.jpg

Bernie Jacobson

President Vintage Sports Car Club of Australia 1978-80.

post-51681-143143027299_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14314302732_thumb.jpg

Back to the BOOKS, as Terry has said they make interesting reading either as an aid d'memoire, a reference for future travel or just wishful thinking. They are both packed with descriptive gems and numerous photographs of England, Wales and Scotland as it was more than 75 years ago. You do not have to go far from main roads and towns to immerse yourself in a bygone age. Just as easily you can turn off the television and let your imagination run from the comfort of your favourite armchair.

Better still, ship your pre WW2 car to England, get out of the towns and explore the lanes and villages, have lunch with the locals in Pubs or Village Tea-rooms and stay off the beaten track in privately run B&Bs or small family run Village Hotels. Forget about 5 Star accommodation and Motorways. Drive down narrow lanes between century old stone walls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]300913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]300914[/ATTACH]

Maybe we should move this thread to "touring" as it really all about following the road less traveled. This is exactly what we enjoyed about touring in Scotland and England while we were there. We drove a 1935 Morris Eight, which we still have (see pics) and one of it's stable-mates is now a 1948 MGTC, which is a wonderful driving machine. It's Susan's toy and she has really come to love how it feels on the road. Once she got the front end sorted out, and everything properly adjusted, it handles nicely. Thanks to an engine rebuild several years ago when the previous owner decided to make it bulletproof and do some serious autocross activity with it, it is ready for any tour. We'd love to take it overseas but just can't see doing that until we've retired. Meantime, we're going to do next year's Sentimental Tour with it, and next weekend it'll be out or our local club "Square Car Tour" which is a popular event designed mainly for pre-war vehicles, but we let the more modern stuff bring up the rear.

In this country, we have the AAA Blue Books to help us find old roads and interesting stops. I've got a selection of them going back to the teens. For both UK AA and American AAA route-books I've even collected some period postcards from stops along the route. It's the history of roadways and travel and books like these can help you relive it.

Terry

post-30751-143143048416_thumb.jpg