1936 Buick 40 Series Side mount Installation

Guest KeithElwell

Guest KeithElwell

Got some questions for owners of 36 Buick 40 Series cars with side mounted spare fenders. I am about to install my newly restored right front SM fender and support brackets. I know how it all goes together but would like to know the correct orientation for the L bracket that bolts to the outer side of the frame. Does the short leg of this bracket point fwd or aft? Does it make a difference and is it the same on left as on right? Does the fuel line go thru the large oval hole in this bracket on the right side?

Thanks

Guest KeithElwell

Greg,

Any idea why the two holes on the inside of the frame for this L bracket have a keyhole slot hole in the frame rather than a round hole? A 3/8" carriage bolt will go into this slot and seems to fit the square shoulders of the bolt which would of course keep it from turning when tightening up by one person whereas a hex head bolt would turn and with a fender on, one person cannot reach around to both sides of the bolt at one time. Is that the reason?

Guest KeithElwell

Well the 3/8" carriage bolt shoulder does not hold the bolt from turning. Still don't know why Buick slotted these holes but I just used a hex bolt with flat washer on inside of frame and the bracket, lockwasher, and nut on outside.

Keith, sorry to not respond sooner I was leading a field trip all weekend. I believe that the bracket just uses regular bolts. The reason all of the holes are slotted is so that you can adjust the height of the fender. I put the fender on first then attached the sidemount hardware. You can then push the fender up and down to get it where you want it. The slotting in the other pieces let's you move the sides in and out as well.