Different sort of question

Guest drnittler

Guest drnittler

I have a different sort of old car question (hopefully not too dumb). Has anybody out there, with a few cars in their collection, get to the point or age where they may pick just one favorite car and sell off the rest? (Not necessarily for the money, age, or declining health, Just to make life simpler).

Just wondering.

Thanks for reading.

I have 6 "collector" cars. All restored by me. All except the 69 Vette AACA Senior award, a Grand National and BCA Gold holders. I have too much emotionally invested in them to sell them yet they continue to be a financial and time burden keeping them up. Seven batteries, 36 tires counting the trailer, 7 insurance coverages, garage space, time excercising them. They are all needy. I look at them in my garage, and they look back, all the while quietly un-restoring themselves.

My favorite in the bunch is the 39 Chevy PU. I drive it to breakfast every AM in nice weather. It is elegant in it's simplicity and low need for care. Having 6 collector cars is like having 6 wives. It sounds great until you actually have to do it. My advise to a new "collector" would be have just one car you love and drive it as much as you can. Just like a wife...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I have way too many cars, but depending on the week, cant decide what to sell. I would like to get down to a 3rd as many, but am always changing my mind......................

not in a hurry, but life would be easier with less. As they say, less is more.

drnittler, I did almost exactly what you have asked about, although the reasons were different. When we decided to move to Hawaii, I really didn't know about the old car scene over here, but wanted to move badly enough that we sold off nearly all our stuff to come here, buy a place, and be WARM !!! We had way too many cars, even more bikes, tractors, car and utility trailers, well, you get the idea....Anyway, we sold all the cars except an old Mini and a new Miata and each kept a bike and a scooter. I had lots of old cars that were nicer and worth a lot more than the Mini, but it and her Miata fit in our tiny new garage as well as the bikes. SO....we did it ! I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and we loved all our stuff, but this was worth it. Now, to prove that cars are a sickness, I have bought 4 more since we've been here, but always sold one to buy one. So, now we have two small oldies in the garage and her Miata and my "needed" truck that set out side. Just can't stop being an old car "junkie" ha ! Oh, I did sell my bike, kept the scooter, am changing/fixing her bike to sell, she's keeping her scooter, and the other day a fellow gave me another motorcycle that "just needs a little work".... here I go down that road again too....

Absolutely, I have given this a lot of thought lately.

I am going to start this Spring. First to go are the Fords and then the Cadillac. Three a year is the limit in this state otherwise I would need a Dealers license, etc. etc.

Taxes, fees, gains, losses, etc., leave a lot to be considered.

Guest AlCapone

I have a lot of antique cars, over a dozen. Last year I bought a property that has a horse arena on it which at one time housed rodeos. Now my storage problems are solved forever and I can work on any one or more on any given day. I even took my grandson. For a ride inside the barn when there was a blizzard outside. If you don't need the money don't sell until your desire leaves and I am thinking that will be never. In fact I still look at the swap / buy / sell part of this site every day. I love my old cars and they replace some of the activities I can no longer do. At 65 years old I am enjoying these cars like never before. Even

though I have my very favorites every one of them goes for at least one ride a month in the summer.

Just my nickles worth. Wayne

We have that discussion fairly often. I say "OK you are right, which one should we sell?" That seems to be as far as the discussion ever goes until the next time we have the exact same discussion. We never know what to sell because they're like grandchildren, nobody ever sells any.

I guess as long as I can keep them all running and enjoy them, I'll keep them and keep looking for "just one more". Maybe something a lot newer like a 57 Chevy wagon that we could travel in, or maybe a a 67 VW for economy trips, then I see another Pre=WWII open car and the dreams come back. It never ends.

Can't seen to come to terms with scaling down yet but the wife has been leaning in that corner for bit....

Wayne, I'd like to meet up some day, driving inside this past winter can only be so rewarding!:cool:

I was born in Sarnia, the wife spent summers there with grandparents on London Rd and Windsor is not far away.... just need to get my Special going.

I'm exceedingly fortunate to have a wife who never questioned my collecting madness.

I was a long time collector of old tractors (teens and twenties stuff) until I got burned out on those and switched to cars.........something I'd always LIKED but hadn't indulged.

When I wound up with 6 cars ranging from a 1919 Model T to a '65 Mustang I asked myself "What the hell am I doing with SIX cars?" and answered my question by selling one.

In the future I may ask myself what am I doing with 5 cars but, so far, I love all of them plus the one of the two I might CONSIDER selling happens to be my wife's favorite so that one won't be going anywhere........she deserves, at least, that much....... :o

I have a different sort of old car question (hopefully not too dumb). Has anybody out there, with a few cars in their collection, get to the point or age where they may pick just one favorite car and sell off the rest? (Not necessarily for the money, age, or declining health, Just to make life simpler).

Just wondering.

Thanks for reading.

Years ago, when it really mattered, the wife was an obstacle to be reckoned with. Now it is not even a concern. If she's going to get mad at me or throw me out.........oh well.

I have always had more than one car in my "collections".

There was a time, when the kids were little, that I did not have any cars. That was for about 10 years or so.

Right now I have 5 and I am ALWAYS looking around. The biggest thrill, for me at least, is the hunt and then being able to be the guy that gets the car.

Most of the times, after I get a car or 2 the novelty starts to wear off. Maybe I am not a "true" collector in the sense of the word then.

As stated in a post here - money, time, and space are the ONLY real determinations if I sell any them.

We have a "disease" and we all know it. I know for me that even if I was to be able to find and buy the one car I have always wanted

it would not satisfy me to the point of not looking/buying another.

I suppose we are all "hoarders" to a degree.

Joe

Guest AlCapone
Can't seen to come to terms with scaling down yet but the wife has been leaning in that corner for bit....

Wayne, I'd like to meet up some day, driving inside this past winter can only be so rewarding!:cool:

I was born in Sarnia, the wife spent summers there with grandparents on London Rd and Windsor is not far away.... just need to get my Special going.

​A deal for sure. What toenails or city are you from? Waynep

I have had a number of cars over the years in the hobby [45] My wife has bought most of them . I have restored most my self .My daughter and greaddaughter are in to cars and have there own. They will get the cars when I get to old and can't do it any more , so I don't think about things like that . Kings32

Guest drnittler

Thanks for the replies..It is not the wife, lack of space, or stuff like that. I am getting down to one all purpose antique car ie shows, tours etc., to make life simpler Two of the cars don't seem to get the use they deserve and I feel bad about that.

I did that when I was abut 40. I had 7 old cars licensed and in a couple of locations. I was extremely lucky that time. I sold the cars I wanted to divest myself of and was able to keep the ones I wanted. Usually one gets stuck with the ones they don't want and can sell what was supposed to be the keeper pretty easily.

Insurance is where I lose my way. It is not very expensive so the financial burden of the "entry fee" is not bad for the next one.

I am back up to five. I could sell three this year, maybe four. I spend about $600 to $1,000 minimum on each car every year. Avoiding that could be perceived as a savings. And I'd have the money from the cars.

So you see five guys standing together and they each have a few thousand bucks in their pocket. How do you differential them? "Oh, he's the one who drives around in the '64 Riviera." Give that up and you are just like the rest.

After 50+ years in the hobby I have learned one important rule. Logical decisions tend to lead to disappointment and are usually irreversible. Spontaneity makes me smile real big, like I am right now.

Sell the ones you like the least and buy a couple you like more. Those are the cars that probably put that thought in your head anyway. I like the four I added better than the 6 I sold. And still kept THE one.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

I have reached that point or way of thinking. I downsized from my country home to a townhouse close to the city. I plan within the next year to be down to my daily driver, my 67 that I have had 35 years and picking up an 02-05 Thunderbird as my fun car. After losing two of them last Summer in the fire it just kind of deflated my drive. I am down to 3 hobby ones now and 2 will go. I have made a conscious effort in the last year to start making life easier.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

We really need a Carriage House - a 2 bedroom , 2 bath place atop a 15 car garage , (and NO lawn to care for !)

We really need a Carriage House - a 2 bedroom , 2 bath place atop a 15 car garage , (and NO lawn to care for !)

Just what I need as well.

Most of my cars have been spoken for by my children. That more or less justifies the collection.

I too peruse the web every day in search of a deal. Its what I do. As mentioned we all know the disease that we have.

I have a few cars that are for sale and would not break my heart to see the tail lights, but most are assigned to relatives. Which may be appreciated when I am gone, or may not, I wont be around to know.

I live in a small town and people look forward to see what I am driving today.

I think about it once in a while as I have no time to tinker with, drive or enjoy them, but then I reason they have permanent license plates, cheap insurance and no property taxes or inspection in Vajenya. Basically all they do is take up garage space.

'Course, had I known ten years ago my life would take the turn it has and my job would eliminate ALL of my hobby time, I'd have sold them all and never built their garage. But someday I'll get to retire... when the garage is fully paid off!

I'm not even sure which ones I'd sell if it came to that. The Toronado and the Ninety Eight would likely be the ones to go. I looked for the Hurst/Olds too long and Starfires (or similar big sporty powerful bucket seat cars) seem to define me, so odds are they'd keep their home. They'd probably go cheap too, because 1) low demand and 2) they'd be sold as is, you go thru the brakes and fuel systems to get them running after eight years of inactivity.

I'm having fun with the project cars, chances of ever finishing them is slim, and the last runner was last registered 15 years ago. I'm having just as much fun in the hobby as I did when I first found it in 1961. Last one I sold was two years ago, a 23 year restoration project that the new owner finishes. Bob

Has anybody out there, with a few cars in their collection, get to the point or age where they may pick just one favorite car and sell off the rest? (Not necessarily for the money, age, or declining health, Just to make life simpler).

Wish I'd had that option to decide. From March 2002 to July 2012, I had 5 cars of 1 nameplate ... all different years: 1972, 1976, 1979, 1981 & 1987.

Unfortunately, I lost my job February 2012, ~2 weeks after returning to work full time following my 4th open heart surgery, 11/11/2011. June that year, I went to a national convention for that nameplate ... & came back ... & promptly got pneumonia. I was in the hospital the 1st week of July.

Now, all but 1 of those 5 are sold ... & I have 2 Caprice Classics (1979 & 1989). In a way, it's a blessing to have had to sell off the collection, but ... it hurts. May not be done selling cars yet, since I still haven't been hired. :(

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"I had a momentary temporary lack of self control" __ Ty Herndon __ 'I Want My Goodbye Back'

I've never had more than one collector car at a time. I bought and sold a few old cars, until I ended up with a keeper that's been with me for 9 years now. And even with just one car, running and registered, I rarely have the time to give it the exercise and attention it needs. Life just has a way of intervening. Yeah, maybe if I had the space, the funds, the time, lacked other interests and priorities... well, that's too many ifs. Just enjoy what you got every chance you get, whether it be one or many, because at some point, time does run out.

I have been asking myself the same questions, I have some money, I have space, my wife is fine with things, I had just retired so I have the time. I have everything I wanted at this point in my life, except arthritis has gotten in the way. My father was in the hobby and I grew up into this, and now looking back I have been doing this all of my life. I have pretty much had done everything there is to do both nationally and locally. I never really enjoyed "local" car shows years ago, and like them a lot less now. I always found better things to do with my time then to sit in a hot black-top parking lot listening to "do-wop" music blasting through a crappy PA system. I like most here enjoy original cars, but there seems to be less and less of those cars around along with the people who enjoy them. I chaired a few events for the VCCA, now the hobby is starting to bore me. Maybe I have been just doing this too long? Anyone else ever feel way?

At diner some months ago my lady and I were talking to a friend who is a car collector like us. I was reminded of how easily the conversation flowed between the three of us regarding our collections and the old car scene in general. There were no excuses necessary for what we were doing or how we were doing it. We were just sharing the information and the feelings, that to old car people, need no explanation. As we parted company I mentioned how therapeutic it was to have a conversation with someone who was on the same page regarding our passion for cars. I realized that what most people in world would think was a sign of insanity, was to us, a simple fact of life. Whatever you choose to do with your collection, you can get the moral support from those of us who understand.-Bill

Guest drnittler

I am not bored with the hobby, but I live a distance where I can't get to original car meets too much (I don't have a trailer or correct sort of truck to pull stuff) so I am limited. I would love to do some national stuff but I need to drive the car to the events..sort of difficult. I have one car that can do it, the other two probably not. So the plan it to keep the long distance car and have a fund to keep it going, from the sale of the other two cars.

I have done the local stuff for years..but down here you get hot rods and low riders..not my thing.

I guess I fit the description given in the OP. How many cars does it take to have a "collection?" If 2 suffices then I qualify. I am ready to sell one for the sole reason that I simply do not drive it. It is a pity to let is simply sit in my garage. No one gets to see/enjoy it but me. Also, simply sitting is not good for any car. They are made to be driven.

Having come to the realization that I am not going to drive the car (I have put less than 100 miles on it 6 years) I know that it is time to pass her on to someone who will appreciate, drive and enjoy her. While I am not actively marketing the car, I am open to discussion of sale.

BTW, her in this instance is The Gray Lady, a 1955 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, with her own web site - http://graylady.atwebpages.com/

Guest AlCapone
I guess I fit the description given in the OP. How many cars does it take to have a "collection?" If 2 suffices then I qualify. I am ready to sell one for the sole reason that I simply do not drive it. It is a pity to let is simply sit in my garage. No one gets to see/enjoy it but me. Also, simply sitting is not good for any car. They are made to be driven.

Having come to the realization that I am not going to drive the car (I have put less than 100 miles on it 6 years) I know that it is time to pass her on to someone who will appreciate, drive and enjoy her. While I am not actively marketing the car, I am open to discussion of sale.

BTW, her in this instance is The Gray Lady, a 1955 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, with her own web site - http://graylady.atwebpages.com/

If you do actively market your Caddy, please send me a message. My Dad had exactly the same car ! Wayne

John,

have felt bored on more then one occasion and have even left shows after showing up, having just not been in the mood to be there.

good idea is to take a break-often the tendency is to come back to the hobby. If you continue to be non enthused, then maybe it's time to get out.

Life has many stages and sometimes the next stage is just waiting to be perceived.....

Life is multidimensional and there are other things then just cars, though for some, that is enough.

Just one car? Don't think I could do it. I don't have to drive my cars to enjoy them. Sometimes when I can't sleep, I walk over to the garage door and turn on the light. I go back to bed with a smile on my face thinking how lucky I am to live in the best country in the world, and I am able to manage to have a few toys that make my life more enjoyable. The cars are fun, the people in the hobby are great. My life has been enriched so much by this hobby that I would be a different person if I hadn't been involved in it. I have made friends all over the world thanks to the many car clubs I belong to. With google translator I can now talk to people all over the world and share the hobby across the language barrier. After more than 40 years, I enjoy the people and the hobby more than ever before. And even better yet, gas is almost half the cost it was last year...... the V-12 will get another two thousand miles on it this year! Ed.

Another way to play the end game here , is to find cars you have always wanted. With declining health and vision , it is now or never for us. Buy 'em , do what little work they need (if any) , and enjoy them. Obviously buy carefully , and sell a few grand less. So what ? Cheap rental I say. You will be a happier oldster , you will have more fun with your family and friends. Do it while you can. As long as we are fortunate enough to still be driving , what time we have left should be creatively enjoyed. Smile! Laugh! It could be worse. And when it is , you will be glad for the memories! - C Carl