Lights Question

Steve2150

On my 1990 the whole headlight switch is loose, when you press it to turn on the headlights the whole assemble moves, how do I re-secure it. Also gotta rebuild the headlight motors as the passenger side keeps running about 10 seconds after shutting. Also when on the headlights flop with the wind so on highway they aim high when slow down they are normal.

Guest PontiacDude210

If you use the rebuild kits sold here and also make sure there are no loose hinge bolts, you'll greatly reduce headlight flop. The flop can be the crank arm rocking, or the hinges being very loose. My 90 had both problems.

Truthfully you can spend a lot of time and perhaps money messing with the Headlamps because there are so many variables. I tried all of the shortcuts and/or hmmm maybe this will work fixes; e.g., replaced the Bell Cranks only, replaced the Rollers in the motor only, etc., but I still had a frustrating wobble in both Headlamps. I finally did it the right way. To that end, from my perspective I recommend purchasing Rebuilt Headlamp Motors [barney is a great source … he does an outstanding job and you know they are 100% correct].Oftentimes many of us consider a Motor rebuild to be simply putting in the Rollers … that does not always do the complete job … for example the shaft could be worn. In addition, I recommend purchasing rebuilt or reengineered BellCranks [a few different folks on this site sell them … over the years I have used both Kingsley’s and Barney’s with excellent results]. After installing the aforementioned Rebuilt To New Condition parts properly your Reatta’s Headlamps will be tight and likely will not wobble at all but to make 100% certain adjust the White Up-Stop that the Assembly rests against when open to the point it is snug. If done properly there will be no wobble to the Headlamps. By the way, in all likelihood the White Up-stops arebroken … if so you will need to replace them.<o:p></o>

Note: My recommendations are based on my experience only and not meant to question anyone’s skills. If you can rebuild the Motors completelyand properly so that the shafts [as mentioned earlier the shafts in my original Motors were worn] are tight then that is great.<o:p></o>

Guest HuevosRanchero
post-107537-143143019069_thumb.jpg It appears to fasten to the back of the instrument cluster cover....possibly torx screws?? or maybe plastic plugs.

Guest PontiacDude210

It's just two torx screws. There are a handful of tiny screws above the cluster that have to be removed, then the bezel AND its chrome backing come out as one piece. I can't remember if the screws above the vents have to come out for this too. Do NOT break the bezel away from its backing and DEFINITELY don't hurt the headlight switch. I've done both. Costly, time consuming mistakes. Jim Finn helped get me back on the road at a very reasonable price though.