License Plate 1907? NY die cut Characters

Ric Dean

Lic Plate 1907? NY die cut Characters

… License Plate 1907? NY: I’ve been told this is the 1st New York State Lic Plate made of Metal; it has individual stamped die cut concave characters that include attached tabs which align with pre-punched slots in the Plate allowing any configuration. The mounting clasps look to be period fare; does anybody have any more information about this Plate or could lead me in the right direction? Decades ago I received this from my Dad who had it for decades before and his hand handwriting is still on a label on the back but it is hard to read the whole date.

Thank you, Ric post-70217-143143016088_thumb.jpg

post-70217-143143016082_thumb.jpg

post-70217-143143016086_thumb.jpg

The first NY issued plate was 1910. It was blue with white metal letters/numbers that were riveted in place. Before that, the state issued numbers and it was up to the owner to have a plate made. I have a 1909 issued number (65347) on an original metal sheet, and since the number is lower than yours, i would guess yours is also a 1909. There is a collector on the internet that can give you the date of issue, but his name escapes me. I'll look further...

Frank

The first NY issued plate was 1910. It was blue with white metal letters/numbers that were riveted in place. Before that, the state issued numbers and it was up to the owner to have a plate made. I have a 1909 issued number (65347) on an original metal sheet, and since the number is lower than yours, i would guess yours is also a 1909. There is a collector on the internet that can give you the date of issue, but his name escapes me. I'll look further...

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the info, that helps a great deal, I would appreciate any further information. I heard of a NY Lic Plate whose letters & numbers are fastened to an old leather panel, that would explain the owner applied letters & numbers; probably to any material they chose.

thanks again, Ric