Trying to identify this car. 1937'ish

Guest Josh Robbins

Guest Josh Robbins

post-107804-143143016078_thumb.png

This photo is a friend's Dad and neither one of us know what make it is.

Can anyone easily identify it?

(I can barely tell the difference between a pickup and a convertible.)

Thanks

Josh

Guest AlCapone

The bumper and the radiator are correct. Headlights wrong, windshield frame wrong, extra light in the middle,, marker lights on fenders, extra horn, two different fog lights. Wayne

Guest Josh Robbins

Thank you all for your input.

I sure came to the right spot.

I have no doubt it's "project" car. :)

The Pegasus bumper attachments threw me. I couldn't think of ANY manufacturer with that logo except Mobil.

My Dad had a "project" Model A. (The photo below is me in his lap.) He said that one came from virtually every scrap yard in the state of Maine.

I'll pass on your info to my friend.

Thanks so much,

Josh Robbins

post-107804-143143016642_thumb.png

Thank you all for your input.

I sure came to the right spot.

I have no doubt it's "project" car. :)

The Pegasus bumper attachments threw me. I couldn't think of ANY manufacturer with that logo except Mobil.

My Dad had a "project" Model A. (The photo below is me in his lap.) He said that one came from virtually every scrap yard in the state of Maine.

I'll pass on your info to my friend.

Thanks so much,

Josh Robbins

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299809[/ATTACH]

The car in the sepia toned photo here ^ is a 1928 or 1929 Model A Ford.

My '31 Dodge has a Pegasus...

post-37352-143143016659_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

It's a 30/31 Model A roadster (I've got a 30 coupe in my garage right now) with lots of add ons; like the dual Socony Vacuum pegasus on the bumper.

Guest Josh Robbins

You people are amazing. :D

I just recalled that my Dad was really proud that he's found all those parts for the Model T..

but the thing that made him the MOST proud:

he found an original TOOL BAG for it in a dump*

* probably around the time when we'd travel during summer vacations.

To keep my brother and I from fighting in the backseat (when the pillow between us didn't work),

Mom got us both those old blue "penny collecting" books (the ones with the built in slots for the pennies)

We'd stop at little banks along the way to "wherever" and each get a roll of pennies to sort and card.

Invariably, you'd get 3 or 4 steel pennies from the War Era in each roll of 50.

Thanks for jogging my failing memories.

Be well.

Josh

ps My Dad was a prison warden. The prison had a garage, paint shop, and LOTS of free skilled labor.

My first car was a "chop job" the garage put together from parts. It was fitted with a hydraulic brake

system to fulfill it's primary function as----- the manure hauling truck for the horses.

By the time I was 15 when I got my driver's license, I'd already logged more hours backing up and

dumping horse poop then most kids had behind the wheel of the "three speed on the column Driver's Ed Mobile".

>good God. Does anybody even make a 3 speed on the column anymore? :confused:

nonetheless- The Red Radish I know I have a photo somewhere. I'll look for it.

The Red Radish was handmade by some good men at the Maine State Prison.*

* Special Mention to: Royal <-- A genuinely nice guy who taught me what little I know about cars

(in for two counts of vehicular manslaughter)

My gut says it's a '30 deluxe roadster (cowl lamps). I believe part of the problem with identification is that it's wearing dark-colored side curtains, which explains both the black windshield stanchions and the bright "buttons" along their length, which are "lift the dot" type snaps that were used as original equipment. I also say roadster because it looks like the wind wing is folded in on the passenger's side; you can just make it out through the windshield and it's the correct squared oval shape with finger-like wind wing clamps. The overhanging top also looks more roadster than cabriolet, which was nearly flush with the top of the windshield.

You can see how the side curtains are attached in the photo below, and it also requires that the wind wings be folded in:

post-31138-143143019119_thumb.jpg

Heck it could even be a phaeton:

post-31138-143143019122_thumb.jpg