Need help identifying Dodge Brothers wood wheels

Guest Todd68390

Guest Todd68390

I have 2 Dodge Brothers 21 inch wood spoke wheels. Can anyone identify these wheels? What is the brass valve stem attached to the hub do? There is a rigid tube running down towards the stem in the tube, but it is not connected. On the back side, there is some type of rock arm mechanism. Any insight is appreciated. Todd

post-107769-143143015721_thumb.jpg

post-107769-143143015691_thumb.jpg

post-107769-143143015707_thumb.jpg

I would suspect the tube connects to the tyre valve to supply air pressure to the rocker arm in side the drum ,as the wheel rotates the rocker strikes " something " that may be a distance counter ?. Just my thoughts , it is a good one . Any one else with any ideas. Bob

Guest Todd68390

The extra valve stem hole is in the inner, cast part of the rim. The outer, steel rim only has one valve stem hole. I put air on the brass valve stem and worked the valve from the back side. I could hear no air escaping from the back side of the rim with the valve in either position. In the attached video, the left side of the valve is on the opposite side of the brass valve stem, and the right side is opposite of the large nut on the wheel face.

The extra valve stem hole is in the inner, cast part of the rim. The outer, steel rim only has one valve stem hole. I put air on the brass valve stem and worked the valve from the back side. I could hear no air escaping from the back side of the rim with the valve in either position. In the attached video, the left side of the valve is on the opposite side of the brass valve stem, and the right side is opposite of the large nut on the wheel face.

What is under the taped end of the tube going towards the rim?. Bob

Guest Todd68390

Under the taped end is a brass fitting made to screw on to the valve stem. At first, I thought maybe there was some type of early tube that didn't have provision for a schrader valve, therefore the valve was mounted in the brass fitting attached to the center of the wheel. Then I saw the mechanism on the back of the wheel.

post-107769-143143019264_thumb.jpg