Antique Automobile Magazine

R W Burgess

Got it yesterday here in CT - FWIW for some reason we are always near the "back end" of the 3 - 4 day delivery window for the Antique Automobile, so I figure rural vs. urban does not play into things, which I know some folks mentioned in the past as a concern..

Mine came Saturday or Monday. I opened it one day and went through most of it. I've been putting together an album of photos of antique cars for a young lad for his upcoming birthday so the magazine kind of got laid back but I must have opened it Monday. The young friend will be 9 in September so I'm working on it real early. When I finish it there will be about 100 5 x 7 photos in it and some extensive, informative captions. It will take a lot of time but he's worth it and no, he is not kin to me. Just an exceptionally nice young man that likes cars.

Maybe it will come today (3/19/15) Got Classic Car last week (2nd Favorite) read it and passed on already. However the slow mail is part of the charm of a town that was the end of the railroad line (1907-1961), probably the end of the mail truck run too. The beauty of Antique Car is that news in it is not really timely, it's always good news.

Sure, my paper comes every morning. ;)

Of course my paper was slow last week, but an e-mail to the parent company in Richmond Virginia last Friday morning got it back on time again. You've never heard of the "Squeeky Wheel" getting the grease, West? :cool:

Here's the issue, (no pun intended) the magazine was printed on March 12 and arrives the next day at a US Postal Service distribution center also called the Bulk Mail Center the next day. The BMC distributes the bundles nation wide which may take 3-6 days, remember now postage paid is at the periodical rate and not first class. I see where some received their issues on 16 March, I received mine on the 18.

The delay that some experienced is not the problem. The problem is looking on page # 32 Bonhams took out a full page advertisement on their auction held the 12-14 March at Amelia Island.

Someone at National HQ needs to give this issue attention.

My 2 cents

Here's the issue, (no pun intended) the magazine was printed on March 12 and arrives the next day at a US Postal Service distribution center also called the Bulk Mail Center the next day. The BMC distributes the bundles nation wide which may take 3-6 days, remember now postage paid is at the periodical rate and not first class. I see where some received their issues on 16 March, I received mine on the 18.

The delay that some experienced is not the problem. The problem is looking on page # 32 Bonhams took out a full page advertisement on their auction held the 12-14 March at Amelia Island.

Someone at National HQ needs to give this issue attention.

My 2 cents

The magazine was mailed on the 12th. The US Postal Service distribution center is right there at the printer.

We should have caught the Bonhams ad when it came in. We catch a lot of things, but that one slipped through the cracks.

Hmm, not getting where Bonham's timing is an issue. Anyone seriously bidding on a car at Amelia Island knows when the Concours is, what's in the catalog for the auction houses, and where they will be staying well before the latest AA comes out. 99% of that would come via Internet sources early on, a few days do not matter. I suspect Bonham's primary reasons for advertising in the AA are twofold- to support the AACA and promote themselves through institutional advertising, not so concerned about specifics.

But who knows, could have been a tight month scheduling wise, as on another note West managed to get his point accross with very little verbiage this month, lots of white space on the editorial page! :-)

Hmm, not getting where Bonham's timing is an issue. Anyone seriously bidding on a car at Amelia Island knows when the Concours is, what's in the catalog for the auction houses, and where they will be staying well before the latest AA comes out. 99% of that would come via Internet sources early on, a few days do not matter. I suspect Bonham's primary reasons for advertising in the AA are twofold- to support the AACA and promote themselves through institutional advertising, not so concerned about specifics.

But who knows, could have been a tight month scheduling wise, as on another note West managed to get his point accross with very little verbiage this month, lots of white space on the editorial page! :-)

Yes, planning to attend Amelia Island's Concours d Alegance is accomplished month's in advance. I would have to say that the marketing and publicity directors for Bonham's might disagree with your primary reasons they advertise in a national publication.

again my 2 cents

Steve may be correct. While I missed the date conflict when placing the ad and during proofing, our ad manager did not. When the ad came in, she asked her Bonham's contact if they still wanted to run it. They said yes. In fact, their next ad is for an event that happens very close to the time members receive their magazines, too.

Guys I am no expert but mentioned only because I see this with Bonhams in other pubs, personally I would put the onus equally on the advertiser who should know the schedules of the various pubs. If they are advertising for Greenwich we will get the mag about three weeks prior to the event, still good for building buzz I guess. We are looking forward to Greenwich. Who doesn't like watching Rupert...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
spelling of course (see edit history)

Woohoo, got mine today. Actually got 2, this issue as well as last. I am very impressed. Haven't started reading yet but just thumbing through I see it is very high quality with lots of details and articles. Going to bed early tonight to enjoy