is there any way to clean stains from old interior

29tons

Brake cleaner is essentially dry cleaning fluid. I've used it many times to clean stains out of my clothes, no reason why it wouldn't work on upholstery, too. Test in an inconspicuous area to see what happens, though.

Brake cleaner is essentially dry cleaning fluid. I've used it many times to clean stains out of my clothes, no reason why it wouldn't work on upholstery, too. Test in an inconspicuous area to see what happens, though.

I wouldn't recommend using brake fluid as a cleaner. I've gotten some on my clothes and it leaves stains like oil. Even though brake fluid seems water soluble, its stains remained.

He said brake "cleaner" not brake fluid. It sprays and evaporates quickly. OP could also try an electrical contact cleaner. I personally would try an upholstery cleaning product designed for cleaning upholstery first. I used to use Agway leather products on my cars in years past. I no longer have a source for Agway and have used "Mother's" brand with great satisfaction.

OOPS, that's right. I didn't read it right. I think you're right that brake CLEANER is dry cleaning fluid. It sure smells like it. The other thing I hope will not happen, is that if brake cleaner is exposed to any heat or flame, it can be deadly.

I know i'm a bit off topic here but I certainly hope everyone keeps open flame from just about everything! I worked in a place where we had heat treating furnaces. One of the guys decided to re-clean parts with alcohol before putting them into the furnaces! I was mortified when I saw what he was doing. He didn't understand why I was so upset that he had alcohol near the furnaces. We promptly had training sessions with everyone regarding ALL flammables in the shop.

I had to explain to quite a few of the guys that you cannot see the flames of alcohol while it burns and peels your skin away!

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

I've been told by several old car owners, that the small portable 'travel size' steam generating 'wrinkle-removers' do a good job cleaning a headliner.

I have not tried this myself. Anyone here heard of using a small steamer ??

GLong.

• 3 weeks later...