1939 Buick special escutcheon sizes/where?

39BuickEight

I am planning to order all new escutcheons (and knobs) for my interior door and window handles, but I'm not sure what size I need. I have a collection of broken escutcheons from my 2 cars but can't seem to identify which ones go where. There should be 10 total, some 1/4" and some 3/8." Could someone advise how many of each there are supposed to be, and on which handle they go?

Hey Billy, I just checked my '39 Special and on the drivers door the 3/8s are on the door handle and window winder and the 1/4 on the vent window winder. Now, bear in mind I have a coupe, and on the passenger door all are 1/4s but the door handle and window winder have a little "play" (room), so 3/8s would be better. The interior was already done when I purchased the car, so this is all my best guess.

All on our car are ¼ -except one which is 3/8. The 3/8 is on the left door vent winder. As the vent winder has to clear the window garnish when it is cranked, then it would make sense for it to be pushed out a little further than the others.

But after 76 years I can't vouch either way is really right.

But the winder on the vent with the ¼ inch escutcheon works perfectly well. My inclination would be to run with your plan in message #3.

That is correct. The big ones fit the vent handles and the smaller ones fit the window winders and door handles. Door handles hang down on a 45 degree angle to the rear NOT up or toward the front. All of the stainless rings that go on top of the plastic escutheons are the same.

Door handles hang down on a 45 degree angle to the rear NOT up or toward the front.

Too true. But I can still remember the rear door of my father's 1939 Chev flying open when we were kids skylarking around and bumping the door handle down. One of the first things I did when we got our 1939 Buick was to make the handles open upward.