Final Production Date

b6vt

I have a 1948 LC coupe that was assembled March 12,1948. (per information from the Benson Ford Research center) The consecutive unit number is 18192 and the body tag consecutive number is 1665. Could any one tell me how close this was to the end of production on the LC. I am in the process of creating a provenance for the car. All of the successive owners up to me. It has been an interesting search. b6vt

You are missing a digit in the VIN number. There were181,000+ H series V 12 built, not 18,000.

You are absolutely correct===The correct number is 8H181292--are you sure about total #'s of LC's or is that total # of Lincolns of all models? b6vt

I have a 1948 LC coupe that was assembled March 12,1948. (per information from the Benson Ford Research center) The consecutive unit number is 181292 and the body tag consecutive number is 1665. Could any one tell me how close this was to the end of production on the LC. I am in the process of creating a provenance for the car. All of the successive owners up to me. It has been an interesting search. b6vt
this is corrected. I had omitted a number in the ser# sequence.

Today I received an e-mail from the Benson Ford Research Center. They informed me that they did not have any information that would indicate when in the sequence of production how close to the end of production my car was built. b6vt

Edited by b6vt (see edit history)

Guest 39 Pickup

This is strange, because of three Lincolns that I have sent away for info, they all came back with the date of production and where the car was shipped to.

This is strange, because of three Lincolns that I have sent away for info, they all came back with the date of production and where the car was shipped to.

I did receive that information, several years ago from the same entity. I was trying to determine how close to the end of production my car was built. With ALL lincolns in the ser # succession I can see how difficult that it would be to determine. b6vt

I have a letter from Public Relations Continental division Ford Motor Company Wednesday A.m. October 5, 1955 Stating a total of 5,322 units were built before production was suspended in March 1948. Lee Waldren Fort myers, Fl.

The 5,322 is the total production of our 1940 to 1948 Lincoln Continental coupes and cabriolets. Lee

Just to add to the thread, I sent away to "The Henry Ford" and received the build sheet for my 1948 LC Coupe, body #1332. serial # 8H181626. It was assembled on Feb. 17,1948

and shipped on Feb. 18, 1948 to Mahoney & Foy ( wherever that is?). I think, perhaps the Feb.17 th. date is the day they finished assembly, it must take more than 1 day to put these cars togethe. Larry

Comparing build dates and body and Ser #'s throws the whole concept of consecutive numbers and build dates out of kelter. my build date is 03/14/48 with a body number and serial number earlier than Larry

Butcher's built 02/17/1948 ?????? Does any one have an idea or solid answer?