Exhaust manifold 371 -58

Haettman

I have a Olds S88 with Hydramatic and 4p Rochester. The car was basicly equipped with a single exhaust system. However, in the shop manual there is a picture and a few lines that indiciates that these cars also had dual exhausts from the factory. The picture tells nothing about wich car where sold with what. My question is if there is any difference at the exhaust manifolds for dual system compared to single systems.

/Daniel

In 1958 one could get the J-2 (3 dueces) set up. I would be more than surprised if it did not come with dual exhaust. As for differences, I can not speak to 1958. I do know that in the early 60's the difference was in the driver side exhaust manifold. Instead of dropping off the exhaust pipe attaching near the the center of the manifold, it attached at the end and the crossover pipe attachment point on the passenger side exhaust manifold had a block-off plate installed.

• 2 months later...

In '57, 88's came standard with single exhaust and Super88's and 98's came with dual exhaust as noted by the ornament in the rear bumper ends. My dad converted his S88 to single exhaust by the addition of a crossover pipe, because he got tired of replacing mufflers, first one side then the other, and back again. There was no difference in exhaust manifolds. I would imagine the '58's were configured the same way.