Genius or goof ?

Black_Baby

Guest Corvanti

having had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly, and looking at that as a shortcut - IMHO - heck NO!!!

BTW: if you have to replace any part (like the sending unit), i'd strongly suggest replacing the entire assembly. dropping the tank is not something i'd want to do (or if you have to, pay the labor charge) again in the near future.:)

here's some fuel pumps, etc: http://thereattastore.com/fuel-pumps/

I have toyed with that idea for a while now. I do not know if it is practical in this instance but there are some vehicles that do have a hatch to access the top of the tank. I know the reason I have thought about is due to the condition of the supports and other associated items that would be disturbed while dropping the tank. There is no doubt dropping the tank would open a whole new can-o-worms. To be clear, this is only considered on a somewhat derelict car, that is in poor shape underneath.

If corrosion is a concern when installing a new pump it might be better to put the new pump in a new tank and install it with new straps. All are available in the Reatta Store for a little over $200 bucks. It might be faster, easier and cheaper in the long run than cutting holes in the car. Just my 2 cents.

Guest 89 Maui

If you are contemplating changing out the tank and hangers I would like to give some additional info. The '88 & '89 have steel fuel lines and are highly subjected to rust. In the '90 & '91 Buick changed to neoprene fuel lines probably due to the rust problem. I found a '90 being parted out and I changed out my rusted fuel lines on my '89 for the neoprene lines, a direct swap and I am pleased that I did.

Woody

89 MAUI