1966 Mustang GT Fastback A-Code *SOLD*

*SOLD*

Hard to believe this is a 50-year-old car, isn't it? Even more remarkable is that the restoration is now 25 years old and still extremely nice. As far as I can tell, this is a real GT, although early Mustangs are notoriously difficult to document since the factory lost all the records. All the proper components are in place, even the little things that forgeries typically omit, and we have pre-restoration photos of the car that show all the GT equipment, so I strongly believe it's a real-deal GT. It's also loaded with options including A/C, power steering, Pony interior, Rally-Pac, styled steel wheels, and a remote outside mirror, a feature I've never seen on a Mustang this old.

All the sheetmetal appears to be original to the car, as there are no patches or signs of cutting and welding on the body, floors, or quarters. The car scored 385 out of 400 points in 1990 in MCA Concours competition and has been driven about 2400 miles since then. As a result, the correct code 5 Signal Flare Red paint is extremely nice and the body is very straight. The doors fit better than many old Mustangs and the finish uses single-stage paint, so it looks quite authentic. There are a few signs of age and what I call shelf wear, but overall the car remains very impressive. One of the only nicks on the car was present during its first judged outing, so it has been very well maintained since it was finished. The weather seals are supple, the white stripes on the rockers are bright and crisp, and all the chrome was restored or replaced during the restoration and sparkles today. And it's worth noting that many of the demerits noted in the judging sheets have been rectified, including a new windshield and back window.

The black Pony interior is correct as well, and was completely replaced during that restoration. With only 2400 miles on it, the upholstery is still very good, the seats are firm, and there's minimal wear on the carpets. Everything works, too, which I find remarkable: all the courtesy lights, horn, radio, gauges, clock, and the A/C blows cold with good old R12 refrigerant inside. The gauges are bright and clear, the steering wheel is in great condition, and even the little stuff like the arrow for the shift indicator, which lights up red when you turn the key, is fully operational. The fold-down rear seat makes the fastback practical as well as sporty and the insanely complex vents on the sail panels work like they should. The trunk is detailed with a plaid mat and spare tire cover, as well as a jack bag, and the spare is a matching styled steel wheel with a redline bias-ply tire, which, if not original, is nevertheless pretty old.

There's no way to determine matching numbers on an early Mustang, but this car carries a correct 1966-coded 289 cubic inch V8. The A-code made 225 horsepower using an Autolite 4100 4-barrel carburetor, which is still in place on this car. It's got a Cobra dress-up kit, which was probably installed after it was retired from show duty, and there's a cleverly disguised oversized aluminum radiator, but everything else appears highly correct. It's still in great shape, although you can tell that it has been driven and isn't quite as crisp as a show car. The C4 3-speed automatic shifts crisply and powers 3.00 gears in the 8-inch rear, which make it an easy highway car. Manual disc brakes were standard on the GT and it has a proper dual exhaust system with trumpets protruding through the rear valence. Handsome styled steel wheels carry brand new 14-inch blackwall radials that have less than 100 miles on them, so it's ready to go.

I love this car. My wife loves it even more. She's got a '66 GT convertible and she's aching to have a matched set. Sadly, it's not to be. But if you're looking for an exceptionally nice early Mustang with all the options, you can't do much better than this. We're asking $42,900 and I'm always open to reasonable offers. The only Mustangs nicer than this arrive at shows in trailers.

post-31138-143143011205_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011211_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011215_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314301122_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011225_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011231_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011236_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011241_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011246_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314301125_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011255_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011259_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011264_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011269_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143143011275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
SOLD! (see edit history)

Guest exbcmc

In these days Indy tires were the rage. A buddy of mine had this exact car, but black. Believe it or not in the mid 60's we actually had a lot of rain. One night on the fwy he hydroplaned in the rain, spun out and sat there in the fast lane. A few moments later a classmate from HS came around the bend and totaled the Mustang. Any of you LA guys it was right by the old Brew 102 brewrey.

• 2 weeks later...