1940 Torpedo horn

deac

Hi,

I'm a new member...

I have a '40 Torpedo and the horn is malfunctioning so I disconnected the lead to the horn relay on the firewall. The horn button won't stay on the steering wheel either. I have looked on the web for an exploded view of the steering wheel and column and can't find anything. I have the Pontiac shop manual for 1940 models and it does give a few line drawings of the steering/horn assembly; a written description is cryptic at best.

So the situation is when the relay wire is connected the horn sounds so I immediately disconnect it. Go inside and play around with the steering wheel/horn assembly and notice that there is adjustable collar just behind the wheel with a set screw in it which is loose. When I move that collar I can see that is a apart of the pot metal tabs that the horn button connects to. I wonder if that collar since I would think it's adjustable using the set screw is the cause of this issue. Can anybody shed any light on this. Or let me know where I might find a exploded view with a good description??

Any help would be appreciated...

I appreciate your at attempt at helping but the picture doesn't show the adjustable collar with the set screw at the rear of the wheel. I suspect the collar is contributing or is the core of the problem. This situation is with the standard steering wheel from 1940 and that manual shows what looks to be similar to the deluxe wheel.

Chris

Edited by deac (see edit history)

I appreciate your at attempt at helping but the picture doesn't show the adjustable collar with the set screw at the rear of the wheel. I suspect the collar is contributing or is the core of the problem. This situation is with the standard steering wheel from 1940 and that manual shows what looks to be similar to the deluxe wheel.

Chris

I have the parts manual. I can take a pic tonight if you are still needing a diagram.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I've beaten my head against the wall many times -

A common store bought steering wheel puller will not work with a '40 Pontiac; this has been an issue since I bought the car. If you all could shed a little light on this I would greatly appreciate it.