1949 packard swan/cormorant wings, what holds them?

Shotrod

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, joined for a friend who doesn't read or write much. He owns a 1949 Packard ambulance and i recently got him a 'new' hood ornament for it but the part that holds the wings on is missing. I can see that it must be like a wedge, chock or something like that, that goes between the wings inside and the 'notches' at the end keep it there but not sure if this is to be metal or like a metal spring clip or what. i could be totally off on what i think should be there myself even! But before I try to make something for it i'd love to know if anyone here has a picture of what is missing. Hate to see him loose his wings and be back where he started.

Deb

As you guessed, the ends of the wing tabs had a wedge between then that held them in place. If you had written yesterday or even earlier today while I was still at my Oregon workshop, I could have looked and measured it for you but now I am back in California so I can't do it until my next visit. Perhaps someone else already has one apart. I have a special tool for removing the wedge without damaging anything as it's difficult to do without it. I made it for use on my '51 or '52 Henney-Packard's ornament which was virtually identical to the '48 to '50 models.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

That's just my luck Don. I might see if i can pick up a golf tee somewhere. I have one i'm sure and never played golf even but who knows where it is now! Thanks for the tip Owen. The wings weren't on it when i got it. But it is in really nice condition. The bird isn't going to match the ambulance, told my friend we should duct tape it so it matches the vehicle better. :)

Where is your shop in Oregon? I'm from the eugene area and go down at least once a year for the function 4 junction show and cruise in junction city. Not in the ambulance though as it's not mine but would love to take it one time. Just not sure i could handle some of the sharp corners in the streets doing the cruise. Just now getting a system down and learning how and when to do what to make the turning easier.

post-107540-143143008186_thumb.jpg

The ornament was an option on the Henney-Packard coaches so it is perfectly appropriate as long as the proper '48 to '50 base is used. My 1948 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way hearse came with the option. As for my shop, it's on the other side of the mountains in a very rural area just north of Terrebonne which is about 30 miles north of Bend, just about dead center of the state.

Please be sure to add your friend's coach to the rosters including the one my on Packards / Imperials Page linked below or send me the details by PM and I can do it for you. A photo of the ID firewall tag should be sufficient and a nice photo of the coach would b great too even though I've not yet added photos to the roster.

I know where the Terrabonne area is kinda, some people i knew here moved to that area. i still remember crooked river bob advertisements back when they were building all the little ranchettes i think they were called in eastern oregon. They are VW people though and drive a Thing if you remember those odd critters. I will get info on the ammalance as the owner calls it, sometime in the near future. He also has a 49 packard 4 door and a '56 Savoy. He's wanting to sell those though. Do you want the info on the 4 door also?

Thank you so much for the help.

The rosters on my site are for all Packards and Imperials but I'm sure that packardinfo.com has rosters too that would benefit from having both of the Packards added. The main thing is that my site focuses on Henney-Packards but really anything about any Packard is welcome! If he wants to sell them, there's also a free Classified Ads section both there, and here on AACA there is a Buy and Sell area. I would love to see them advertised.

They are complete, i can see the space where it appears a wedge as you called it or something goes in the slot created by the tabs of the wings. Here are a couple pictures but from the auction not mine. The man didn't realize how the wings went on so displayed it with them swooped back. I could make a lead wedge if i knew the dimensions i would think, melting fishing weights possibly. The man sells vintage motorcyle parts, mostly harley so didn't likely know what he had as I never see them low priced unless they are really pitted. We thought this was a little messed up from the pictures but ended up being really nice. In fact it didn't matter if it was pitted as it would match the ambulance better. I tossed in a couple cell pics also. He just got new windshield and side windows put in made it look like a new rig! Then on our way to another little town for a christmas show and chinese auction. Halloween is the best though!

post-107540-143143010272_thumb.jpg

post-107540-143143010257_thumb.jpg

post-107540-143143010261_thumb.jpg

post-107540-143143010266_thumb.jpg

post-107540-143143010269_thumb.jpg

I'll get the info on them and see if he wants to put ads up also. Thanks for the info!

The rosters on my site are for all Packards and Imperials but I'm sure that packardinfo.com has rosters too that would benefit from having both of the Packards added. The main thing is that my site focuses on Henney-Packards but really anything about any Packard is welcome! If he wants to sell them, there's also a free Classified Ads section both there, and here on AACA there is a Buy and Sell area. I would love to see them advertised.

The wings go upward of course but it looks to be in good condition. I have a '51 ornament with base that I'm thinking of having restored and wish it were as good now although with potmetal it can look excellent but take as much to restore as one that looks pitted. Doing a little research on the wedge, it was apparently made of lead so should be really easy to make a proper one.

Wedge makes me think of the wedges that are put in the end of a hammer handle to spread the wood and keep the head on only those aren't lead that i remember. But think it would be easy enough to make if i figure out the dimensions i would need using a piece of cardboard or something.

• 1 year later...

Packard Don,

I to am trying to remove the wings from a 48 Packard Flying Swan so it can be re-chromed. Can you describe the special tool or send a picture of it. I need to remove the wedge. I have attached  a picture of my "dilemma".:huh:

Rockeyp

48 Packard Swan Wedge.JPG

I used square bar stock of a size that would just fit in between the tangs where the wedge is, then milled a notch that was the width of length of the wedge. I then bent the other end if the bar stock 90 degrees to form a handle. If the wedge is stuck, tapping the handle is enough to break it free.  I am actually going to my Oregon shop tomorrow and can take a photo of it once I get settled in and have found it.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

Packard Don,

Thank you for your reply and pictures you will soon be sending. I tried using a raw hide threading tool that I modified to get a hook on the end, I am able to slide it down the wedge feel the backend drop off but no amount of strength I put to it budges the wedge. I am so looking forward to the pictures and any other advice on this matter.

Here are the photos and note that the material used is small - about 3/16" square - and is just mild steel.  Something like a socket can be slipped over it as shown to make a tapper that should help with even the most stuck wedge. I no longer have precision measuring tools but you should be able to figure it closely enough out by looking at your ornament.

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG