Rear crankcase breather on small series engine 1950

Guest gmorse

Guest gmorse

Hello, I am usually on the Pre-war forum with my '39, but I have a question about a 1950 (do not know if it was a 248 or 263). I bought on Ebay a rear crankcase breather. I believe it is the same from about '39 to at least the end of the 248 in 1950. The breather came with a partial cover that the seller said came from the 1950 - the car is long gone, so he did not know which of the small engines was in it. I have looked for a picture of a 1950 engine in Buick shop manuals and parts books, but rarely is there a photo of this area of the block.

Anyway, this "cover" which fits over the breather and is held on by the same bolt as the breather, is open at only one end. It seems to me that the open end would be forward, as this is an air inlet. I have seen one photo of a Buick engine, not in a vehicle, that had the closed end forward, which does not seem right to me. So, if any of you folks with a 1950 small series engine know which way the cover goes, please let me know.

Any info is appreciated.

Gary Morse

I guess I am confused by the terminology. there is a crankcase breather down low on the driver's side of the engine block, about 2 by 4 inches, wiith little louvers in it, held in place by a bolt in the middle. On the other side of the engine, there is a road draft tube which lets the crankcase breathe. Then there is the air cleaner, which some people call a breather, which sits on top of the carburetor. One side of it down low usually has a splash shield so the oil won't get blown or spilled out.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Edited by Pete Phillips
typos (see edit history)

Guest gmorse

Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the "2x4" inlet filter on the left rear side of the block. I bought a 2x4 filter from a 1950, series 40 or 50, and it has a cover the fits over the filter with one end open. I am trying to verify if the opening should face the front or rear of the car. It seem that the opening facing front would be the correct way, but I do not know.

Thanks again.

Gary