Security Light does not blink

Cargirl

This weekend I attended a car show and low and behold, a black 1990 Reatta attended with silver interior and silver pin stripes. ( are Reatta pin stripes 1/8 inch, I told him I would check) Anyway, nice color combo, nice car.

When he exited the car his security light blinked and it blinked till he hit the lock button on the key FOB. That reminded me of my prior cars and they blinked too. My 1991 security light does not blink at all. Not when i turn it off, not when I set it to lock. I tested the bulb and that is working OK. Does anyone know what could be wrong with this non-blinking security light? Fuse perhaps?

The top stripe is 1/8 inch, then a 1/16 space, then the bottom is 1/16, just for the record. I emailed my new friend. Still could use some help with the security light issue, thanks guys!
This is just a guess... Your security light issue could be related to a door switch. You could go through the Door Switch Troubleshooting Guide to see if there are any problems with the switches.

I have read old posts about the security system not working. Most posts are about the light not turning off. Mine won't come on no matter what I do with the key FOB except for when I hit the "test" button. I am not able to ascertain if there is a fuse in the security system that may be blown. Does anyone know of a fuse location? Door switch works properly, light is not burnt out?

I have read old posts about the security system not working. Most posts are about the light not turning off. Mine won't come on no matter what I do with the key FOB except for when I hit the "test" button. I am not able to ascertain if there is a fuse in the security system that may be blown. Does anyone know of a fuse location? Door switch works properly, light is not burnt out?

First question, when you open the door to get in, does that trigger the dash light show? If it does not, then you likely have a short to ground of one of door handle lift switch (they are tied together, so if either develops a short to ground, you have to separate them under the passenger seat to figure out which door lift sensor is the issue). The door lift sensor, when operating normally is an open circuit to the BCM and when the handle is lifted, it shorts the line to ground. So if the circuit is shorted to ground the BCM never sees the transition of the door lift sensor.

I had the exact same issue of the security light not flashing, the alarm system refusing to arm and NO illuminated entry and traced it to a single short on the passenger door lift sensor wiring.

If by dash light show you mean the interior courtesy lights then yes, it operates correctly. It recognizes the door is open and illuminates the interior with both the in door lights and dash lights. The only one that does not illuminate is the security light does not blink. I know it's a minor issue but on all my cars all the little things work, my pet peave.

I was reading on other Buick forums that perhaps my problem is the theft deterrent module. However, my horn works and my emergency flashers. I guess these items are controlled by this module. Also I read about a theft relay, any chance those could be the problem?

If by dash light show you mean the interior courtesy lights then yes, it operates correctly. It recognizes the door is open and illuminates the interior with both the in door lights and dash lights. The only one that does not illuminate is the security light does not blink. I know it's a minor issue but on all my cars all the little things work, my pet peave.

Here is another way to verify that the door handle lift switch circuit is not involved by testing the Illuminated Entry feature. Lock and close the doors and ensure that the interior lights are power down. Then simply lift either door handle. The interior lights SHOULD come on. Be sure and try BOTH doors, because you could have a bad lift sensor that is NOT actuating the momentary grounding of the circuit. NOTE! if either side is shorted to ground, the illuminated entry system WILL NOT WORK. Of course, the BCM could also be at issue but as I discovered, a short in the door handle lift switch is more likely.

This is an easy test, but should it point to an issue, finding the source of the problem is a bit more complex.

Doors locked, pull up handle--the light show does not start. Open door, the dome lights come on but not the dash lights. Everything works with the key FOB. So, it appears I have a short to ground, correct? No fuses are blow just for the record. What would be the most likely places to check, I assume I should be looking for a wire that is bare and touching metal or pinched someplace?

Edited by Cargirl (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

question: do the 90/91's have a "light show" similar to the 88/89's?

re: wiring - it seems most electrical wiring problems have to do with a loose/corroded ground wire.

question: do the 90/91's have a "light show" similar to the 88/89's? ...

No. But when you lift an outside door handle when the doors are locked the interior lights, including dash and console backlighting, should light up. Also the odometer should display the mileage. At least that is how it works on my '90 convertible.

Thanks for the input! I do think this issue is above my pay grade as much as much as that irks me. I will live with a non-blinking security light. From what I have read, it's when the opposite happens and you can't turn it off/car won't start is when it is real trouble!