Looking for details on 1941 Lincoln hot water heater and dash switches

JWalker

Does anyone have a 1941 Lincoln with the hot water heater option? I am trying to figure out the dash switches. On the hot air heater, there were two cables (one for the defroster and one for the hot air exchanger under the hood) and one fan switch, so three holes in the dash. For the hot water heater, there were only two holes needed, one cable for the defroster valve open or closed, and one fan switch that controlled fan speed and "direct" or "indirect" heat, blowing out the front of the unit for direct heat, or out the back of the unit for indirect heat. So was the third hole plugged with a dummy switch or knob?

If someone has one, I would love to see a photo of the switch, or a description of how the switch and cable were situated. I am probably missing the switch bezel, mine just doesn't look "finished" like it should.

There was probably some kind of service bulletin or an installation manual issued at the time, but I have never seen one. If there is one out there, I would love to have a copy.

Thanks for the help.

JW

Some dashes have 3 holes, some 4..Zephyr and Continentals...Heaters were sometimes dealer installed..etc.. The blower control as you describe is under the dash, twist right or left lights dim for low bright for high..direct or indirect...The pull knob opens register for defrost nozzles..The left over is a dummy knob if not needed.. I have a 40, I installed my overdrive knob in that hole, rather than hanging down below as I think it should be..

Pictured is a 41 dash, a 40 and my 40..they have various holes..thought to be stock, see the xtra hole on the 40 for conv..yes came out of 06h-76 from Sinclairsville NY long story.

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Here is a photo of a 40 Zephyr, if it helps. The 40 and 41 models had a lot of similarities, probably someone here reading can tell us if the 2 dashes were similar or not. My vin is 89,000 - early 1940 (with only rubber-no SS in back oval window gasket), with hot water heater. Top row of knobs: left is: LIGHTS (in & out); CENTER is Defrost cable (in & out); and right is: NOTHING-a fake plug knob that does not move. Bottom row of knobs: left is: EMPTY HOLE- ? any help?; center is: HEATER SWITCH- (rotates CW or CCW; I took off for the late John Moglia to do a super job of molding the knob to the switch-I'm not putting new knobs on until more dash dirty work is complete); and right is COLUMBIA 2-SPEED - (in & out to shift lo-hi). Best of Luck, on St Pattys! Paul

post-45349-143143016676_thumb.jpg

Attached are several heater knobs: '40 Continetal) 2 speed and 4 speed (translucent red, Zephyrs are tan like 40ZephSedan's post), '41 4 speed for Zephyr (also make 2 speed)(Continentals have red lettering) and last the '46 heater set-up. I also make the blank knobs for '40 (red and tan) and the blank knobs for '41, '42(cream) and '46-'48 (tanslucent red).

Keith

post-31184-143143016894_thumb.jpg

post-31184-1431430169_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143143016906_thumb.jpg

post-32184-143143028642_thumb.jpgThanks for all your replies. I attached a photo that clears up the questions, at least for 1941. The 41 dash has 4 holes to the left of the steering column. The hole to the far left is the light switch. The next hole towards the steering column was for the heater fan switch. The third hole was for the defroster cable. The fourth hole (nearest the steering column) had a dummy knob when a hot water heater was installed. If the car had no heater at all, there were three dummy knobs on the dash. I attached a photo of the dummy knob too.

There is a chrome bezel around the heater fan switch that the knob seats into. Does anybody have a good used bezel they are willing to part with?

John

post-32184-143143028614_thumb.jpg