Buick Master 6 major Oil Leak

Guest Phil Cordery

Guest Phil Cordery

My 1926 Master six is leaking oil from a hole underneath the driven end of Dynamo, the hole is in the main body behind the end plate, is there an oil seal

& how do you get at it, I see a small loose Oil thrower on the shaft.

I'm not completely certain of the location you're describing, however, Buicks of this era really did not use any seals. Many areas have oil pumped to them, where there is an oil slinger ring that runs through the oil and carries it up and onto the shaft or bearing where it's needed. Excess oil runs back into the crankcase through a return hole. I suspect you have a blocked return hole. A photo would be great.

Phil if you get a chance a photo would help but in our 26-25 Std there is no hole at the driven end. It's gear driven straight off the front of the engine. Three bolts go through the engine housing and in to the generator body and there is a paper gasket between the two. This gasket was the source of a leak on our car. By the way there is also an oiling hole at the undriven end for the back bearing in the generator but that is towards the top of the housing.

Neil

1926 Std 6 Tourer

Guest Phil Cordery

Thanks for the help,

Phil if you get a chance a photo would help but in our 26-25 Std there is no hole at the driven end. It's gear driven straight off the front of the engine. Three bolts go through the engine housing and in to the generator body and there is a paper gasket between the two. This gasket was the source of a leak on our car. By the way there is also an oiling hole at the undriven end for the back bearing in the generator but that is towards the top of the housing.

Neil

1926 Std 6 Tourer

Thanks for the help, removed the dynamo, no gasket just remnants of silicone, so cleaned everything & replaced, with new Gasket, cleaned all the drain holes, Dynamo was very tight to remove & get back in , had to lever with a piece of wood at the rear, test shortly, Thanks again.