ENGINE PAINT AND ENGINE DECALS

Guest detpar210

Guest detpar210

Hello I am new to this so here goes

would like to get engine decal for my newly purchased 1950 Buick Roadmaster

would like to find out the correct paint color for the 320 CID engine

also need to find grill parts the part specific is the U shaped grill part that has 'BUICK EIGHT" on it written in black

would like to get the front license plate holder found one but the guy at the CTC or CTG auto ranch wanted 75.00 for a rusted on he is ridiculously out of his gored, I realize parts want be cheap but not stupidly out there my car has 42K on it supposedly very nice indeed but the engines #1 & #2 are dead firing so it runs like mess! I am going to do an engine rebuild soon but of U guys that own old Buicks with the 263 or the 320 ran into problems in the rebuild of worn out having to go to over sized cylinders and grinding cranks and re doing the cams?

If anyone would prefer to send via my email plz do detpar210@aol.com

many thks

Bob's Automobila is a great source for all things Buick including engine paint and decals. http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/ I believe they sell adjustable license plate frames as well. Try Old Buick Parts - aka Cars, Inc - http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/ Egge machine has new pistons etc - http://egge.com/ That should keep you busy for awhile! I believe there is a stick thread with these and other Buick resources. Got a photo of your car? Love to see it.

my car has 42K on it supposedly very nice indeed but the engines #1 & #2 are dead firing so it runs like mess! I am going to do an engine rebuild soon

If your car only has 42 K on it, you should not have to do anEngine rebuild. Have you started with a compression check to see what you have ? This will tell you if you need to do this. If all cylinders are within 10 % of each other it should be good. Do you have good spark to this cylinders ? There can be lots on these engines that could be causing your issues besides "needing a rebuild". Parts are available but its not cheap to get them. Figure out if you REALLY need to do this before going down that path. Bob's Automobila will have all you need as far as parts go. Get your self a shop manual and really look systematically at things before dropping 5 K on an engine rebuild.

Lettuce no what you find as we are all willing to help you get this running well.

Guest detpar210

3-8 round 125 to 130 comp 1&2 105 or so the engine has a definite dead miss pull plug wires from 1&2 engine don't change it's tune the others bout die maybe burnt vavle(s) mech that looked at it said #2 valve was wabbling or not stable as should B

I can work on older motors mostly Chevy's I need to look at this one myself the car does not appear to burn oil but caked on underneath

The 42k is what the seller told me I have my doubts since the car is. 65 car rides well drives well trans right now shifts well just that motor problem

Thk u very much

Yes, the upper grille surround. If you have something on the car that is cracked, it may be worth having it put back together and replated. The prices on these are through the roof to the point where repair (from multiple pieces, not just cracks) and replate is a viable option. The value on those is to the point where you might want to buy a parts car if it has just that one part on it.

There are several of these cars ('49-'52 Buicks) in a yard that I've shopped at a couple of times. None of them have a usable version of that part. Not sure if '50 is single-year-only, but it's different for '51-'52 (51-52 = same part).

Keep an eye on ebay. People who aren't restoring a Buick are finding parts cars and breaking them up all the time. This part will come up maybe once or twice a year - and if it's good, there will be a bidding war. There is no repro on these parts. I did start a thread on here a while back about having replicas made, but that didn't get anywhere. One possible suggestion from the replicate-it thread would be to make a new one from a composite / non-metal material and have THAT chrome plated.

Guest detpar210

Yes I found one & a fly wheel the one grill part is 2 bills the FW is 125 not shipped thought that was not bad since the dummy in Tx wanted 75.00 for a rusty lic plate holder I am going to take photos of car and post when it decides to stop raining here I am in NW La. I need to get out & work on the engine to see if it a blown head gasket or valve problem, I no there is sludge build up I am trying to avoid over haul but if necessary I will do it I had to get newer hood hinges found on ebay for 29.00 got me a manual form 49 - 53 19.00 so far so good as u see in ur post the u shaped grill is what is broke I said cracked I am incorrect its broke in to everything else works blinkers back up lights even have the original car manual from 50 this old girl so far as I can tell is cherry with supposedly 42 K on the engine still not sure of that at all. all is roginal the wiper switch does not work the radio does not work nor does the clock but all in good time

thanks for the reply

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey guys any luck on where I might can find the U shaped grill piece that has BUICK EIGHT on it?

Good luck with that. As I understand it, and like Eric W said, the "mustache bars" are one of the scarcest items for these cars. It'll probably require a lot of time or luck to track one down.

• Like 1

Guest detpar210

Engine probs fixed so far fingers crossed lol, the person who worked on the car & I believed him said 1&2 were dead low comp. so I bought a comp gauge did the wet/dry comp test well guess what took out 1&2 both plug electrodes were bent to side good reason not to fire P O ed me big time took out rest of plugs were decent replaced with new. Dry test was 95 lbs except #5 was 25 lbs did wet 120-125 ex 5 was 30. Since I can work on older stuff I Took head off took to machine shop #5 valve guide worn out let 5 stay open 2 other burnt valves head mag flux no cracks YEA but that thing weighs a ton now to recover some money! Sad thing is kid was my best friend in HS trusted him SAD! Ring wear there is none can't even hang a fingernail on what's there inspect cylinder walls smooth as babes butt GOD has blessed this dummy all I can say & having terrific folks to talk to here

Gary

Guest detpar210

One last thing Mr Bill u r right bout ur post if 42k miles is right no rebuild that non detergent oil used bk then was nasty nasty I have had to do major cleaning on parts of head valve cover rocker arm assembly push rods am replacing lifters since down this far no will have to pull pan to clean

Mr Bill what or any of u guys say I got a Chilton book covering the .50 Buick see pan gasket is 4 piece I think more frequent oil changes would help but concerned bout breaking junk loose n the engine also sorry oil filter system don't filter nothing may invent cleaning system

All opinions plz r appreciated also found me an old time mechanic that worked on the old cars/trucks bk n the day

Again thk u all

Gary