"Mid Atlantic Pre War Swap Meet" May 14-16 2015 Luray VA

We are launching a new Pre War Swap Meet in Luray VA. This meet is designed for pre 1949 in the area of Auto, Transportation, Farm, Steam & Gas Engine related items. Please visit our website for registration information www.mapwsm.com. We would be delighted to have you as a vendor. A current list of registered vendors is located in the About page of the website. This meet will be held on the property of the Luray VFW, admission to the general public is free. The VFW is easily accessible from Rt 211 Bypass. The location is posted on the website under the Contact page. All REGISTERED Vendor will receive a free pass to the Luray Caverns and the Car& Carriage Museum. Any questions please call at 540-860-1384 or email at dennis@fairviewnet.com.

Swap Meet Window Flyer 020415.pdf

Sounds easier to get to... the drive to Oklahoma takes me 2 days.

Something for the organizers to ponder.... make it advantageous that the vendors ( I'm a vendor ) stay thru Satruday. When I vended Chickasha 90% of the vendors packed up and ran on Friday. On Saturday it was a ghost town, but 100% of the teens, and the familes with children showed up. Many a father were seen walking the ghost town with their kids in tow. And then people pitch, yaw and complain that the young ones just don't care about the early cars...!

How to get vendors to stay... make it known that vendors who stay get their same spaces back next year, and or they get to upgrade to a better spot. Location can be a HUGE motivator.

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well shoot myself in the foot... I have a local show on Saturday I'd like to attend also :) It's a high traffic flea market that co-insides with US Rt 40 National Pike Days. Hummmm...

I'm gonna bring my Prewar parts down anyway. I like to meet new people and travel is always a bonus... someone once said: "Travel, is Homework for Living."

How is it looking for vendor registration Dennis? Would love to try and make it, and have a number of folks from this area interested. Do you anticipate there will be a full compliment of vendors as early as Thursday or is that set-up day? I know that for me to get there I'd need to head out someday later PM the day before and spend the night someplace so I could catch it in the AM. If I try to do that on Friday it's fine but for Thursday, it's dodgy as I'd need to take two days off work vice just one. Let me now if there is a compelling reason I should be there early on Thursday. Incidentally, a few of us here are regular Hershey vendors (pre-war/brass age stuff) and wanted to come as spectators this year and possibly bring some stuff to sell next time.

Thanks for you input and for getting this started.

Terry

The Vendor setup is going to be Thursday Morning 7:00AM - 12:00 and we will be allowing the public to attend from Noon -5:00PM Thursday. You should be able to make the trip Thursday morning and be here in time for the public admission. I do know there are some vendors not coming until Friday Morning. I have had many say they are coming to set up but have not sent a pre registration as of yet. Being a new event I believe we will receive last minute vendors also.I visited Chickasha this year and passed out some flyers there. I will be looking for your registration Wowabunga. Be glad to have you.

Thanks

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be at my Virginia place then, and just back from Auburn, but I have to be back in Florida in time for an important May 20 doctor appointment, and will be in Florida until July 11. I would love to be in Luray on May 14, but we'll be really busy getting read to drive back to Florida on the 17th. I like your idea though and I hope it is successful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm packing ALL my prewar stuff right now, just sat down for rest.... hope'n I have the energy to dig out the large box of 6v headlamp bulbs in deep storage.  Bringing some Ford A/T/TT jacks.  Box of old door/window handles ( see AACA What Is Forum for photo ) that have been in deep storage never been to a swap.  Some old tools. 

I'm told some vendors are onsite tonight, some arriving Thursday, and many including myself will be there early Friday at the crack of dawn...!!!

This new show surpassed my expectations this weekend...! There were some 25-30 vendors on the field. Located on the grounds of the local VFW the volunteers from the post were super nice and very supportive, and their pulled pork samiches were quite tasty. Local business was also very supportive as each vendor was given a pass ($26 value wow) to see the local cave and car museum in Luray. On Saturday people were walking around handing out doughnuts ( still warm freshly made ) that were as good as any doughnut you'll ever find. Tip to Dennis who's store makes the doughnuts... you better make more next year... and I'm preordering a dozen.

To quote one of the attendies: "This is a real show, no crap, all parts"

Hoping for a better crowd next year as attendance was very light. On the otherhand we the vendors made the effort. Vendors drove in from as far as Florida, Alabama and Pennsylvania, and with a good showing we did our part. Next year it's your turn, you the buyers, to show some support and make the effort. Much to see and do in the Shanadoah Valley, the mountains and fresh air are worth the drive.

Photo Below: Jerry and his 1925 Ford TT Truck had the wrong jack under the seat. After some horse trading and some cash he now has the correct Ford Script jack. He has horns, bells and sirens under the hood and had a hoot of a good time doing laps around the show field..!

panoramicSMsm.jpg

jerry25tt_jack.JPG

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)