Plymouth U Head Identity Sought

hddennis

[h=2]Maxwell Engine Confusion[/h]

Hello Maxwell Forum,

I have an engine identification quandary that I had previously posted in the Chrysler / Mopar forum but now believe that the engine is indeed a Maxwell thanks to 61polara, so I am hoping that the good folk in this forum will be able to assist me.

The engine below was used in a stationary capacity to power equipment on a farm some years ago and was believed to be a Maxwell.

The engine number is

A forum member has suggested it to be a 1923 Maxwell due to the serial number sequence that year of
388530-444231, however I have been advised by another enthusiast that this sequence is for body numbers and engine numbers started with a 'C' prefix.

The other confusing issue for me is that if this is a Maxwell engine, the cylinder head has a separate 'bolt on' housing for the top radiator hose outlet which is identical to the later Chrysler Four
series 58,50 & 52 (1926 thu 28) and the Plymouth Q. Whereas a Maxwell cylinder head has the top hose outlet cast into head. Considering the Chrysler four succeeded the 'Good Maxwell' of 1925, would the later head design fit the earlier model Maxwell engine?

The casting numbers on the exhaust manifold match a Maxwell and so do the appearance of the remainder of parts.

Any thoughts, expert opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=297591&d=1425169957&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=297592&d=1425170232&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=297593&d=1425170349&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=297594&d=1425263790&thumb=1

I brought this here from the Maxwell forum hoping someone could identify this Plymouth head.

Howard Dennis

441290 - If that number is stamped on the engine, that IS the engine number. The body number would be on the body. I believe Maxwell engine numbers and serial numbers were the same, not uncommon back in those days.

41070 is not a Plymouth head, but was used on model I (1927 Chrysler 50) and early model I* (1928 Chrysler 52)