A/C compressor, A6 axial type, wanted for '59 2-dr hardtop

davidyavidy

pontiac1953:

Is the A5 long and narrow like the A6, or would it be more like what is found on the 1957 Series 62 convertible? (My friend also owns one of these) I'm not familiar with the A5. Also, the compressor does have a remanufactured sticker on it, and the line taps are of the R134a style, so this must have had a conversion done on it before my friend bought it some 8-9 years ago. Also, the mounting brackets look stock, not aftermarket. Thank you for the information.

Dave

Guest Bob Call

David

The A5 is similar in appearance to the A6. Google GM A5 Compressor, or, GM A5 Air Conditioner Compressor. I did a search some time ago to see availability of A6 re-manufactured and conversion to R134, and, different voltages of clutches. I got several hits.

pontiac1953:

Is the A5 long and narrow like the A6, or would it be more like what is found on the 1957 Series 62 convertible? (My friend also owns one of these) I'm not familiar with the A5. Also, the compressor does have a remanufactured sticker on it, and the line taps are of the R134a style, so this must have had a conversion done on it before my friend bought it some 8-9 years ago. Also, the mounting brackets look stock, not aftermarket. Thank you for the information.

Dave

hi david, your factory mounting brackets are probably from a 1962 to 1967 cadillac, the A5 compressor has a larger diameter than the A6 does.

hi david, your factory mounting brackets are probably from a 1962 to 1967 cadillac, the A5 compressor has a larger diameter than the A6 does.

most GM cars from 1955 to 1961 used the A5 compressor until the A6 was used starting in 1962, it's much easier to find a good A6 compreesor to use.

• 3 weeks later...

To pontiac1953:

I contacted Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL, who told me that I have a very rare factory conversion from the A5 to the A6. Most A6 aftermarket compressors I looked at had a square flange located just behind the pulley. The one I'm dealing with has a round flange which I've been told is a genuine GM replacement, so it looks like I'll need to get that compressor rebuilt so it will match up to the mounting brackets currently on the engine. Also, when the man at Classic Auto Air described the dryer he thought should be on the vehicle, the description was a perfect match to what I had, meaning that the dryer was also very rare in its configuration and would also need to be sent in with the compressor for rebuilding. It looks like I've found the answer to my problem, a bit pricey perhaps, but at least we can get this car up and running again.

Thank you so much for your helpful information.

davidyavidy (Dave)