1938 hudson eight spring shackle

Guest hudson owner

Guest hudson owner

i have a 38 Hudson 8.

one rear spring shackle bolt has snapped off at the head where the grease nipple is.

leaving the thread end exposed and so am now unable to get grease into the bush.

my luck running true to form i found the top shackle bolt has been welded in and even telling it its ancestor (swearing at it) has not shifted it.

grinding the weld also resulted in failure so i cant remove the spring from the sub frame and now have to remove the broken bottom spring bolt in place.

i propose making a grunty puller to force the bottom shackle out of the spring.

i have looked at the threads regarding rusted shackle bolts but the hudson is different.

explaining further the Hudson shackle bolt is hollow and threaded on the inside the other half is a threaded u bolt grease is applier at the end of the bolt forcing through the internal thread.

because it is the bottom spring hanger a big hammer blow wont shift it.

i have to try and slide the whole bolt out of the spring hence the problem.

it was a tight fit originally and rust has ceased it in place as if it had been braised in

to the reader sorry about spelling and publication but i have done my best this time

i started the original thread with the make and date and model it was the first line you read

Edited by hudson owner (see edit history)

I removed bushes from spring eyes using a long bolt, bits of pipe to push the bush into and a stack of washers and spacers just big enough to push on the bush and go through the spring eye. A fine thread on the bolt is better, well lubricated. No great force is required.