Motor won't turn off! Advice needed

Guest Marruss

Guest Marruss

I am working on a Hupmobile R fitted with a Splitdorf Dixie magneto with an aftermarket external coil.

The motor has decided it does not want to turn off on the switch. Once started, it is either stall it or turn fuel off to stop it.

The only thing that has changed is I have recently removed and cleaned points, changed coil and condenser and sprayed around contacts with contact cleaner.

Removing wires from ignition switch and holding together or apart makes no difference.

What have I done wrong?

Edited by Marruss (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

Hi Marruss,

Normally, a mag needs grounded to kill the spark but seeing as you have a coil fitted (and using the mag as a distributor), I assume you have a battery and an ignition switch ?? If so, there might be a problem with the switch.

Regards

Al

Guest Marruss

Thankyou. All sorted. The clip holding the points had come loose and was leaning against the post.

Mental block! I had convinced myself it had to be ignition/ coil related.

Al. 1914 Hupp 32! Very nice. Is it a runner?

Guest Al Brass

Hi Marruss,

Nearly 10,000 miles up since the restoration was completed in '98, so I suppose you could say it is a runner !! :D

Al

Guest Marruss
Hi Marruss,

Nearly 10,000 miles up since the restoration was completed in '98, so I suppose you could say it is a runner !! :D

Al

Nice, very nice!

There was a blue one for sale in Vic or NSW for a while. Not sure if it is still on the market.

Are you in the Register? I have a '22 R tourer and a '26 A tourer.