Wire gage size for 1926 Buick generator?

AzBob

Just did a search for correct wire gage sizes and didn't come up with much.

My existing generator wire (generator to ammeter) appears to be 12 gage from my measurements. Can anyone verify this?

First Born,

Thanks for the generator wire gage size! Am in the early stages of rewiring and using the generator wire as a reference, I can determine the gage size of the other wires. I went through the 1926 Shop Manual and Reference Books but couldn't find any information on wire gage sizes.

Larry W, thanks for the tip in regards to measuring the wire in several places then averaging the measurements.

John V.

Thanks for posting the 1938 wiring diagram. I see it has the wire gage values as well as the wire colors and markings, very helpful. The 1926 shop manual wiring diagram has none of that information.

Hope you can compare to your wiring and maybe the color codes are the same - that really wouldn't surprise me.

there was no color coding on the wiring in our 1926 generator, just crumbling off insulation

there was no color coding on the wiring in our 1926 generator, just crumbling off insulation

On my '26 standard, the wire from the gen cutout to the ammeter is black with white parallel tracers and by all appearances is original.

On my '26 standard, the wire from the gen cutout to the ammeter is black with white parallel tracers and by all appearances is original.

mine was pretty crudded up, so it's entirely possible that it did originally have that