'54 Century

MrEarl

Described as "none better", Currently on eBay.

Saw this car and met the gentleman and his wife who restored it at the 2010 National meet in Ames, Iowa. Definitely one of the nicest restored '54 Century's I have seen.

post-31987-143142996425_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure this is the owner, remember thinking she's almost as pretty as the car....

post-31987-143142996447_thumb.jpg

and anybody know who this cute little girl is? I know her dad is checking out this thread....

post-31987-14314299672_thumb.jpg

I doubt the car sells on eBay, but a good advertisement for the upcoming auction. I suspect the seller is hoping to get north of 50K for it. Will be interesting to watch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Century-Century-1954-buick-century-base-hardtop-2-door-322-v-8-/201296925672?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ede3b53e8&item=201296925672&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Recent frame off restoration, every screw, bolt and nut has been restored or replaced. If you would like to go to the Buick Nationals, and win first place, this is the car for you. None Better! Everything is new or rebuilt. 322 V8 with 195 horsepower. The interior is done to exact factory colors and fabrics. Undercarriage is as nice as the top side.

This is the most desired model with the smaller Buick Special body and the bigger Roadmaster engine. Please call for additional information. (417)699-1063, days, no Sunday calls.

I reserve the right to end this listing at any time, due to a local sale. Buyer must pay for this car within 7 days. If not sold previously it will be entered in the Branson Collector Car Auction on April 17 and 18. Buyer is responsible for shipping, but I will assist with loading.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Did it get judged in Ames? if so, wouldn't the wire wheels be a points knock off?....]

The Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, 5 wheels and 5 hubcaps, were an approved factory-installed option on 1954 Buick Series 50, 60, and 70 models. Therefore, no deductions.

However, there should have been a deduction for the incorrect installation of the spare tire's hubcap-emblem insert if that was the way it was shown during the Ames 2010 judging. I judged GROUP G, 1953 & 1954 Buick Skylarks, that year.

post-41556-143142997473_thumb.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

In 2014 at Portland there were a lot of upset guy's that got deductions from the judges for wire wheels. This included myself with 1953 Super wagon and another guy with a 53 Roadmaster wagon. We were told they were a dealer option and not installed on the car at the factory, so automatic deduction. The 53 Roadmaster owner had proof the car was delivered at the dealer with them and still got docked for the wire wheels. Kind of sucks when they look so nice and many dollars are spent to have the 'correct' wheels for the year and model.

Steve

Guest my3buicks
In 2014 at Portland there were a lot of upset guy's that got deductions from the judges for wire wheels. This included myself with 1953 Super wagon and another guy with a 53 Roadmaster wagon. We were told they were a dealer option and not installed on the car at the factory, so automatic deduction. The 53 Roadmaster owner had proof the car was delivered at the dealer with them and still got docked for the wire wheels. Kind of sucks when they look so nice and many dollars are spent to have the 'correct' wheels for the year and model.

Steve

Options and accessories added to a car must be authorized by the factory to be correct in BCA Judging. If you feel that it is not right that the 53 owners had a deduction, let's say a dealer had a set laying around the parts rack until 1960, the dealer added them to a beautiful Electra convertible prior to the sale, do you still think it is right?

Did it get judged in Ames? if so, wouldn't the wire wheels be a points knock off?....]

The Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, 5 wheels and 5 hubcaps, were an approved factory-installed option on 1954 Buick Series 50, 60, and 70 models. Therefore, no deductions.

However, there should have been a deduction for the incorrect installation of the spare tire's hubcap-emblem insert if that was the way it was shown during the Ames 2010 judging. I judged GROUP G, 1953 & 1954 Buick Skylarks, that year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]297806[/ATTACH]

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

So what is the correct installation Al? Also got a couple more questions for you. In which direction should the whitewall be facing, in as in the picture or out toward the inner fender? And since blue smudge protectant was used in the 50's should it be removed from the whitewalls for show since it would have been delivered to the dealership with it on it.

Steve

Steve, I think their argument should have been that in '53 wire wheels were only available on the Skylark and not Supers and Roadmasters. Thankfully in 54-55 they were available on all but the 40 series.

I just checked the auction and it is at $40,000, reserve not met but what caught my eye was 119 bids! 119 bids! I have never seen that many on one auction.

Heck, one guy bid like a hundred times.......

Lamar,

Now that you show that Ames showfield photo, I know I spent a lot of time looking that maroon 54 Roadmaster over that was right next to this car. All I needed to do was turn around.

You mean this one. He wanted something stupid for the car didn't he? and it wasn't very well "restored" if I recall. post-31987-143142998602_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize that was your daughter when I took the picture and never even met you, and we still have not met in person yet.

Ames was fun!!!

MrEarl said:
1953mack said:

So what is the correct installation Al? Also got a couple more questions for you. In which direction should the whitewall be facing, in as in the picture or out toward the inner fender? And since blue smudge protectant was used in the 50's should it be removed from the whitewalls for show since it would have been delivered to the dealership with it on it.

No blue.

post-41556-143143004462_thumb.jpg

I figured after 50 years of the BUICK BUGLE and twenty-five years of the ’53-’54 BUICK SKYLARK NEWSLETTER, it was time to do an article on the Kelsey-Hayes wire wheel hubcaps. Here are some highlights from an article that I wrote in the ’53-’54 BUICK SKYLARK CLUB NEWSLETTER last March, 2014 addressing the issue…..

- Contrary to the pop song “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” by Meatloaf, two out of three ways ain’t good when it applies to installing the hubcap emblems.

- There is a top and bottom of the hubcap.

- The three slots in the hubcap and the three tabs on the backside of the emblems are equally spaced, whereas the three sector angles are not equal at 120°…..therefore, there are three possible ways the emblems can be installed…..two of which are incorrect.

- The white (largest) sector is always at the top, red on the left, blue on the right....with or without the SKYLARK block letters. (Number 2 is correct in the pic below.)

- Color sector orientation matches the 1953 Buick front upper bumper bar emblem and 1953 non-Skylark horn buttons.

- It doesn’t cost a penny more to install all five emblems correctly.

post-41556-143143004468_thumb.jpg

For the perfectionists only, the tires and hubcaps should be ‘clocked’ to the wire wheel valve stem. For example, if you’re running FLINTSTONE tires, the valve stem should be at the 12:00 position and centered between the first “T” and “S” (five letters on each side) of the FLINTSTONE name with the white sector on top and the ears of the hubcap pointing to the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. The spare tire/wire-wheel with hubcap, should be installed with the whitewall facing the interior of the trunk and the valve stem at the 12:00 position. Don’t forget to jack up your car and spin the wheels so that all valve stems are at the 12:00 position when trying to ring the bell (400 points) at the BCA Nationals. :o

Check out the valve stem hole that's punched in a 1953 Buick wheelcover and notice where it's located.  

598de7e959e1a_1953V8hubcap.thumb.jpg.9c02a8d095e5d20b5281165241d58c31.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

.....I want to judge your Buick at a BCA Nationals.....

Edited by 1953mack
updated pic (see edit history)

i really dont want to have your problems with stupid judging points or such unimportant details on a car how a spare tire is mounted or which wheels are on the car or that i have to jack the car for the valve position (OMG) :cool:

really excessive, thats something i will never understand...

judging points never interest me. i build a car for me, so a little customizing is 100% sure. nothing for original lovers (i respect both sides, and also like to see originals and custom builds)

if my car would have full points or only 1, that doesnt matter for me. in general you must love your car as it is and have fun with driving it.

when i want a perfect new car in factory detail i went to a car shop and buy it hahaha ;) (yes its then no 1954 buick, it would be a 2015 car)

everyone should do what he wants, thats only my opinion...

and this 1954 buick from the auction is mindblowing!

it looks perfect as it is!

and another Century going for more than I expected it to, but a fair price still the same.

Edit, it just jumped up a couple more thousand to $18K. I'd be lowering the reserve just about now if it was my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301546585587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I believe in 1955, they were available on all series

I don't have the order sheets for 53's but going by the 1930 to 1956 Master Parts Book, it lists only the 76X ie Skylark, that's all I was going by.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

The other Century on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/301546585587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&rmvSB=true

If you will notice the same bidder is bidding on both this and the other nicer restored car on eBay.

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I just now saw the pictures of the engine and trunk. At the current bid of 18K I think someone is about to spend too much.

$_57.JPG

Rita said I should put this engine on Facebook and ask "What color is this engine". Tha's all she said, don't know what the hell she means by it, and not about as she suggested, to join FB to find out.

personally I throw up a little every time I look at this picture...just a little...

$_57.JPG

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Rita said I should put this engine on Facebook and ask "What color is this engine". Tha's all she said, don't know what the hell she means by it, and not about as she suggested, to join FB to find out.

personally I throw up a little every time I look at this picture...just a little...

$_57.JPG

Maybe that is what they call "Puke Green":rolleyes: