1924 Engine runs bad, compression problem?

Hello,

a friend owns a 1924 Model T. He always had problems with his engine. Now it seems, that he solved problems with the ignition, the car has a new carburetor, the gaskets to the manifolds are new and work correct.

But... the spark plugs are ( except one ) very fast sooty. If we turn to more lean mixture, it starts to misfire. Engine runs very uneven at every carb setting.

I have tested the compression. I have read that it should be between 50 and 70 PSI. But it has between 36 and 40. The engine got new pistons and rings a year ago, valves were lapped.

So my question is, is this compression too low or should the engine run with this compression?

I just have an idea... what will happen, if the oil level is much to high? I have seen, that oil bubbles were at one spark plug, as the engine run. Could come to much soot when the oil level is to high?

Kind regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasBorchers (see edit history)

Hi Phil,

ok, thank you for the hint.

Today I am at the car and opened the upper oil cock. Since 3 hours I am waiting that oil dripping stops... Soon I have to change the small bucket under the oil cock, then it will be full with 1/4 gallon oil. It takes time since the oil is cold and SAE 40 Type.

Under the transmission my friend installed an extra oil pan. In it is also a plenty of oil.

I have to wait how much oil will finally come out and then start a new try.

Regards

Thomas

Ford said the oil should be between the upper & lower petcocks, but most drivers keep the oil about level with the upper petcock (ie, some oil should drip out of the upper petcock). About 4 quarts (3.5 liters) is the capacity. Be sure your petcocks are not clogged.

Phil

There was 25% too much oil in it. Now the plugs are looking great after a test drive. But it is still the problem, that the engine runs at higher rpm not correct. Sometimes there is missing an ignition. I have to inspect the timer and rotor. I have set the coils already with the correct amps with a tester.

Thomas

• 1 month later...