Maxwell Engine Confusion

Guest zman57

Guest zman57

Hello Maxwell Forum,

I have an engine identification quandary that I had previously posted in the Chrysler / Mopar forum but now believe that the engine is indeed a Maxwell thanks to 61polara, so I am hoping that the good folk in this forum will be able to assist me.

The engine below was used in a stationary capacity to power equipment on a farm some years ago and was believed to be a Maxwell.

The engine number is 441290.

A forum member has suggested it to be a 1923 Maxwell due to the serial number sequence that year of 388530-444231, however I have been advised by another enthusiast that this sequence is for body numbers and engine numbers started with a 'C' prefix.

The other confusing issue for me is that if this is a Maxwell engine, the cylinder head has a separate 'bolt on' housing for the top radiator hose outlet which is identical to the later Chrysler Four series 58,50 & 52 (1926 thu 28) and the Plymouth Q. Whereas a Maxwell cylinder head has the top hose outlet cast into head. Considering the Chrysler four succeeded the 'Good Maxwell' of 1925, would the later head design fit the earlier model Maxwell engine?

The casting numbers on the exhaust manifold match a Maxwell and so do the appearance of the remainder of parts.

Any thoughts, expert opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

post-106917-143142995866_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142995841_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142995852_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142995859_thumb.jpg

The bolts on the head extend up through the nuts at different heights. The head has been off and most likely replaced by a later Chrysler or Plymouth head. This is a Maxwell engine. This engine has the oil bath cone clutch, which I don't think was used on any Chrysler or Plymouth four cylinder engines. It's later than 1921 because it does not have priming cups on the intake manifold, but still has the bosses where the holes would be drilled and tapped for priming cups. 1921 still had the priming cups, 1922 did not.

Guest zman57

Dave,

Thanks for your expert opinion, you have been very helpful.

Within your network, do you have access to a Chrysler or Plymouth 4 cylinder head to check casting numbers to match this one?

Cheers,

Martin.

Dave,

Thanks for your expert opinion, you have been very helpful.

Within your network, do you have access to a Chrysler or Plymouth 4 cylinder head to check casting numbers to match this one?

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin, I think you'll have better luck posting this on the Plymouth section. In both 1929 and 1930 Plymouth made a model U and your head has a U casting number so maybe a Plymouth owner can pin it down.

Howard Dennis

41070 is the casting / part number for the cylinder head for used on Chrysler model I (1927 Chrysler 50) and model I* (1928 Chrysler 52) up to serial number HR-686-E. After that, I* used 73488. High compression head (red head) for the I and I* was 74665. The F (1926 Chrysler 58) used 37930 while the Q (1929 Plymouth, 1st series) used 42721.

The Plymouth model U used cylinder head 301074 while the 30-U was 310271.

The 30-U had a water pump while the I and I* used thermo-syphon cooling and no water pump.

Guest zman57

Bill,

Thank You!

This is EXACTLY what I needed to solve the mystery. You are a wealth of information, this forum is so helpful.

Looks like there must have been a head available even in Rural Australia, would be interesting to know when it was replaced. The engine was sitting for some years in a barn, it did have a vintage centrifugal governing device attached when I acquired the engine.

Everyone's help with this has been very much appreciated.

Martin.

Guest zman57

Thank You for your suggestion Howard, much appreciated.

I was going to post it to forum tonight but Bill has kindly clarified the Part numbers. Its a Chrysler head.

Many Thanks.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 25 chry

Where in Adelaide are you as I also live in Adelaide at gulf view hieghts . I have a 1925-6 chrysler 58 model it was restored about 28 years ago and it is still going but the engine has being rebuilt a second time .It has done 50000 miles since restored 28 years ago.It is basically the same engine as the 1924-5 maxwell

Guest zman57

Amazing! That's only about half an hour on expressway. I'm at Semaphore. So you have the very first Chrysler once Maxwell was discontinued. Would really like to see it.

Feel free to PM me and I will give you my number.

Cheers.

Guest 25 chry
Amazing! That's only about half an hour on expressway. I'm at Semaphore. So you have the very first Chrysler once Maxwell was discontinued. Would really like to see it.

Feel free to PM me and I will give you my number.

Cheers.

You can contact at email-slovell277@gmail.com

phone 82585264

mob 0447787095

hope to hear from you soon,best to contact me most nights after 4.00pm

thamks