Clutch/Brake Seal Installation

OK, maybe I just don't get it. Can anyone tell me how to install two new Clutch/Brake Seals on

my '37. They are Shrock Brothers seals, and I honestly can't figure out how to do it. I have a

spare set of pedals with the old hard rubber seals still on them, and they don't look like they

have been cut, installed and rubber glued. Help!!

OK, maybe I just don't get it. Can anyone tell me how to install two new Clutch/Brake Seals on

my '37. They are Shrock Brothers seals, and I honestly can't figure out how to do it. I have a

spare set of pedals with the old hard rubber seals still on them, and they don't look like they

have been cut, installed and rubber glued. Help!!

Hi Don. You're in good company. Everyone has this problem on the '37's. The only way to do it is to split the seals and slip them onto the shaft. I have found that the best way to secure them is to use a black plastic cable tie around the thinnest part of the seal. Once installed, the ties really become pretty invisible. I'm pretty sure at one time I asked Tom Shrock how to install these and he told me they had to be split. Tom Lewis

Thx Tom. I had a feeling but when I looked at that original seal that appears to be one piece, all I could think of

was "How the heck did Studebaker ever get this thing on?" I guess I will always wonder about it-- at least as much

as I might spend time worrying about minutia like that. As in not again after I post this note.

OK- I don't want to beat a dead horse but here is the "new" dilemna!

I cut the rubber seal so it could slip over the clutch/brake rods. Son of a gun,

it is too small. Measured, the rubber is ID of .7 ", while the OD of the rod

where the rubber goes is .9". Hmm, it simply won't go on now- or said another

way, it goes on but there is a huge gap where I cut it that cannot be brought

together. I guess I should check with Shrock's to see if I got the wrong one.

I checked the old dried up one I have left that is hanging on a spare clutch pedal

and it seems like it was maybe bigger. Ideas??

It is a bad idea to soak rubber in oil. It destroys the rubber.

Anyway, it is most unlikely to be rubber. It is more likely to be some kind of casting urethane. Rubber wouldn't last more than a short number of years on a brake pedal with all the oil around.

I'm hoping that I can get pictures to attach to this post. I jumped right on this thread when it came in and should have waited for more experienced restorers to chime in. After reading Jerry Kurtz' post I went out to the garage and removed the brake and clutch pedals from the shaft. I have the body off the frame so it took about 45 seconds to pull two cotter pins, a spring, and a horseshoe clip. I brought the pedals down to the house with the new Shrock Bros. seals that I planned to use but haven't cut. I stood at the kitchen sink and used hot water and lots of dishwashing detergent and two screwdrivers to stretch and get leverage and in about 15 minutes had the seals in place without cutting. It was a struggle because was awkward trying to lever the screwdrivers and hold everything at once, but I got it done and didn't even chip the porcelain of the sink. post-106433-143142998947_thumb.jpgDon---I'm sending you a PM about this. Tom Lewis

post-106433-143142998922_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Commander55

Tom, are the clutch/brake levers supposed to slide back and forth through these seals? If they are that tight...how does this work?

I answered this once but it went into cyberspace. No they don't move on the pedal, but instead with the pedal. They are in a permanent position, once installed, just on the engine side of the firewall when the brake/clutch are not in use. When either is depressed, they ride along, and when the pedal is released, they resume their position just at the firewall keeping engine fumes from entering the passenger compartment.

The seal does not affect the installation of the pedals. On 37's, the metal floorboard piece is removable, and the pedals can be installed before it is screwed into place. The floorboard piece is slit so that it can fit over the pedals. The seal is placed on the pedals in a position such that they close off the engine compartment from the passenger compartment when not in use. I can photo this if I haven't made it clear if you wish. Let me know.