Trivia Question

Paul Dobbin

While watching the Andy Griffith Show tonight, (It's onevery night in N.C.) I was surprised. Otis, the town drunk bought his first car.

What was it?

Clue: The 1963 to 1965 show was sponsored by Ford.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Guest Rp1967

I remember the episode,because Barney was hiding in a bush and Otis asked him to move a bicycle so he could back up.

about a 1935 ford roadster is a guess because I haven't seen the episode in a couple of years.

Guest AlCapone
It is a 1933 Ford Cabriolet. Here is a photo of the car on the actual episode.

Easy. How about something a bit more challenging?

It was not that easy, you're just too smart ( lol ) ! Wayne

OK, sorry about such an easy question. With the Internet I guess they're all easy to the savoy user. For those of us who can't find this stuff so fast, here's the to the episode for anyone that wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKMGJNsGBr8

I'm also glad to know that I'm not alone in enjoying these old shows.

The car even sounded right for the correct flathead. At the time the show was filmed it was only a 30 year old car, but straight and complete. Now it's 82 and still beautiful.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Me neither Paul. This week, I watched an old 77 Sunset Strip on a VCR tape that I made years ago. Chad Everett was a kid at the time, and of course, Kookie's model A roadster was front and center.

Guest Skyking

The wife and I have been watching Leave it to Beaver. I have every episode. When the show first started I assumed Ford was the sponsor, then changed to Chrysler products. Ward's first car was a '57 Fairlane 500 2dr. ht. then a '57 Ford 4 door sedan. I guess the producers thought a 4 door was more of a family car. It's nice to see the cars they placed around the set, especially the late fifties DeSoto convertibles.

Me neither Paul. This week, I watched an old 77 Sunset Strip on a VCR tape that I made years ago. Chad Everett was a kid at the time, and of course, Kookie's model A roadster was front and center.

A VCR??? have not seen one of them in awhile,

I kind of figured it was a Ford about that year but really didn't know for sure, but it sure did sound sweet when he took off with it in the show.

Another trivia question while we are at it:

Since the show was sponsored by Ford, they went to great pains to keep the Chevy or GMC shorty School Bus from being identified that featured the Town Band that took off in it at the end of the show.

Anyone know anymore about the Bus?

Looks like a 40's model to me, best I could tell.

Also when they had the Chevy or GMC late 40's or early 50's Wrecker, when Barney's Ford broke down, notice that they covered up the name on the front of it, lol.

They did have some Chevys in it though. The '59 2-Dr sure shows up a lot.

Don't mind me, I'm a big fan of the show, lol.

Bill

The wife and I have been watching Leave it to Beaver. I have every episode. When the show first started I assumed Ford was the sponsor, then changed to Chrysler products. Ward's first car was a '57 Fairlane 500 2dr. ht. then a '57 Ford 4 door sedan. I guess the producers thought a 4 door was more of a family car. It's nice to see the cars they placed around the set, especially the late fifties DeSoto convertibles.
I always look for the episode with Wally's first car. 1953 Chevrolet convertible.

Guest Skyking
I always look for the episode with Wally's first car. 1953 Chevrolet convertible.

Larry, that was Season 6 episode 16. The '53 Chevy was his second car. He bought his first car in Season 5 episode 3, a 1936 Ford 5 window coupe that he never drove. It was a $25.00 clunker that his dad made him get rid of.

• 1 month later...

On tonight's first show Aunt Bea was learning to drive in a Black 1955 Ford Skyliner Convertible that belonged to Goober. She backed into a tree and crunched the rear fender.

In the second episode Opie had to learn to dance. In one of the street scenes there was a MGB, a red 65 Mustang and a white 65 Chevrolet Station Wagon, all in the background.

Both shows were in color which means they were close to the end of the series in 1965. Also, no Barney Fife!

Must have been after Ford Motor Co. and Barney moved on to "See the USA in a Chevrolet",

Guest exbcmc

I worked with Eddie Haskell on LAPD. He was a long time motor officer and took a bullet in the vest chasing a robber down an alley. People got a real kick out of being arrested by Eddie.....

Guest prs519

I like that Model A phaeton on the real McCoys. For 60s cars there is Run for your Life, the Avengers, Starsky and Hutch, etc., etc. MANY more, if one is lucky enough to find the reruns. My favorite Martian, also.

Every once in a while I run a search to find the "Bringing Up Buddy" episode where he gets his Aunts to have their '39 Buick convertible overhauled....... at a speed shop. It may have been a '40, but I owned a '39 Buick and a '42 Olds at the time, I was about 13 at the time.

In the end Buddy does get the shop owner to paint over the flames. That shop owner may have been Norm Grabowski, a very young version.

Bernie

Back to the trivia question, if I may expand on it a little. What is the Make, Model and Year of the toy cars used in the driving lesson? I say Barney's is a 1964 Ford Fairlane Sport Coupe promo, and Otis has a 1962 Olds F85 Station Wagon. Any debate?

Guest prs519

Today I watched a Lucie rerun. Behold, there was a $97 lemon being sold! It was a Packard phaeton with psychedelic paint. When it comes to investing in vintage cars, it seems that timing is everything! Today's junk is tomorrow's treasure.