Registration is NOW CLOSED for the Southeastern Divisional Tour!

Steve & Roger,

Any time AACA has a tour in a popular vacation area, AACA tourists do two things in the same trip. I bet everyone of us got a March 2 postmark on our applications. (A good system) Hopefully ours, mailed from the back woods application, got there and was put in postmark order to be selected. If not it's still a fun area to drive old cars and worth a visit, tour or not. Thanks in advance for Regions who host tours.

That sounds like I may be out of luck. I only recently found out that another committment that I had for that week was canceled, so I sent my registration in a few days ago. I suspect my application probably did not make it there yet. Hopefully it got there today but I doubt it. I guess I will find out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting. We know snail mail from our town, between Hooterville & Petty Coat Junction NC, has to go to South Carolina to get a Greenville, SC postmark before before sent o Atlanta, GA for processing. This makes it hard to get it in there first, because the local P.O. tells us it will get a same day postmark as the date mailed. (If the pony is on good health) Still hoping! Another suggestion for Tour planners: DON'T announce the host hotel. People will book the rooms then not get selected for the tour and others can't get a room in advance and won't even apply for the tour. (Later they cancel the room and leave the host committee with not enough rooms sold to get the perks for the eventual tourists.) If it's announced with the acceptance letter. all works better. It's a big job to run a National Tour, sharing what works and what fails is for the best for all those who do these great tours. THANKS

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling (see edit history)

I'm still waiting. We know snail mail from our town, between Hooterville & Petty Coat Junction NC, has to go to South Carolina to get a Greenville, SC postmark before before sent o Atlanta, GA for processing. This makes it hard to get it in there first, because the local P.O. tells us it will get a same day postmark as the date mailed. (If the pony is on good health) Still hoping! Another suggestion for Tour planners: DON'T announce the host hotel. People will book the rooms then not get selected for the tour and others can't get a room in advance and won't even apply for the tour. (Later they cancel the room and leave the host committee with not enough rooms sold to get the perks for the eventual tourists.) If it's announced with the acceptance letter. all works better. It's a big job to run a National Tour, sharing what works and what fails is for the best for all those who do these great tours. THANKS

Paul,

I just received the official list of tour participants. I am please to announce that you did make the tour, and will be driving car #89!

Thanks for the advice on the hotel. Any and all input from tour planners in other regions is greatly appreciated.

Roger

Another suggestion for Tour planners: DON'T announce the host hotel. People will book the rooms then not get selected for the tour and others can't get a room in advance and won't even apply for the tour. (Later they cancel the room and leave the host committee with not enough rooms sold to get the perks for the eventual tourists.)...............

There is a way around this Paul. Of course first, we know who the host hotel is years in advance when the "Registration to Host" is mailed to the National Activity VP.

What works with hotel reservations is that the host region/chapter hotel chairman has a close relationship with the hotel manager. You stipulate in your hotel contract that your AACA Block of rooms are only given out to "pre-registered" tour/meet folks that you, the chairman, designates. IT HAS TO BE IN THE CONTRACT IN WRITING! Our Northern Neck Region hosted a Virginia Divisional Tour last year, and we were very mindful of who could get into our block of rooms (registered tourers only). This worked very well as we were restricted to 50+ vehicles and our hotel worked with us closely.

Also, be sure that HOTEL BLOCK RESTRICTION is also in all of your correspondence.

Wayne

That's true, however I know people reserve their rooms long before the registration packages are sent, then decide. They say "I can always cancel up to the day before the tour, Not very considerate in my eyes, especially for the other tourists who decides not to come because they can't get a room at the host hotel.

Another suggestion I've made for years is to have a campground designated for the 15% of AACA tourists who tow with thheir RV's. I was glad to see this regional tour did that.

Thanks for the notice, we'll be in #89, our 1966 VW BUG, for a one tank tour.

That's true, however I know people reserve their rooms long before the registration packages are sent, then decide. They say "I can always cancel up to the day before the tour, Not very considerate in my eyes, especially for the other tourists who decides not to come because they can't get a room at the host hotel..

But, in our case, they paid the premium price and it did not go against our discounted block of rooms, which were just enough to cover our participants.

.....Thanks for the notice, we'll be in #89, our 1966 VW BUG, for a one tank tour.

What's a "one tank tour", Paul? Wait, you mean you'll only use one tank of gas? You dog!!!:D