'34 horns not working

Guest Norgermish

Guest Norgermish

I have a set of horns I think they are off a '34 40 series. Trying to get them operational. The actual horns work but for some reason when I hook them up I get nothing. There is a relay or something like a relay between the trumpets and I think this is the problem. Is there anything that can be used to make it work? Another relay? (if that is what it is)... something 12 volt would be better.

post-72809-143142993443_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

I'm not sure I understand, "they work but when I hook them up I get nothing"- If you bench test and they work, but not installed in the car, check your ground with like a multimeter. My guess.

Guest Norgermish

outlaw car man-sorry about not clarifying...So when power is put to the horns directly, by-passing the "junction/relay" thing, they work. I know the horns themselves are operational. I was just wondering what that part is that the wires connect to. Is it a 6 volt relay? I don't know. Not an electrician by any means but still want to give it a shot and get these working

Guest outlaw car man

Not a electrician either and don't want to be. The horn button " shorts " out the system. I went thru this to. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the system is " live " till you depress the horn button, which grounds the horns and they honk.

Think this way, the hot wire, going into the horn is connected all the way tru the car's system, thru both horns , no grounding. When the horn button is pushed, it grounds the system causing the " relays" in the horn to close and it honks-

That work on explaining. ?

Guest Norgermish

Thanks for the reply Robin...These horns were off of a 40 series Buick originally. My friend and I were restoring cars together. We were working on two 40 series Buicks when he died a few years ago with cancer. The horns are left over from our times together working on cars. I also have a '58 Volvo PV444 that we were working on together that I am in process of restoring. But, I have a very stock '67 Chevy C10 Fleetside that I want to install the horns on. From what I know the 6 volt horns will work fine on a 12 volt system, a bit louder maybe:) I plan on putting a separate button for these horns so I can leave the stock horn as is.

Paul

Guest Norgermish

This helps. I had forgotten about the button grounding the horns. Maybe I can pick up a button and bench test it that way. There are 3 places on the horns to hook up wires. One is marked "BATT", one is marked "Horn", and the last has no marking, probably "Ground". The one marked horn is wired straight the horns already.

Not a electrician either and don't want to be. The horn button " shorts " out the system. I went thru this to. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the system is " live " till you depress the horn button, which grounds the horns and they honk.

Think this way, the hot wire, going into the horn is connected all the way tru the car's system, thru both horns , no grounding. When the horn button is pushed, it grounds the system causing the " relays" in the horn to close and it honks-

That work on explaining. ?

OK,

The horn button grounds the unmarked terminal on the relay when pressed. The horns are grounded through the mounting bolts to the car chassis. The bat terminal goes to the battery directly (a fuse would be a good idea, try 15 amp). The horn terminal goes to the horns as you stated. If hooked up this way the horns should sound when the button is pressed. Now for what you want to do there are several options. 1) hook up as above. 2) get a simple pushbutton starter switch from NAPA and connecxt one side to the battery (with a fuse as above) and hook the other terminal to the horns directly. 3) use a SPDT toggle switch and use it to switch the stock horn button wire between the stock relay and the buick relay. This way you can select the horn you want with the switch and use the wheel mounted horn button/ring to make it beep. My choice would be #3.

Good Luck,

Robin

Guest Norgermish

Robin,

Thanks for all that info. I agree with number three as well. Now I need to make sure that relay is good.

I appreciate everyone's input here. It will be a joy to one day honk those horns and remember Ed. His widow will appreciate it as well

Paul