Is it or isn't it?

My wife is one hundred percent supportive of my car related hobby interests. She never ceases to amaze me with gifts she comes up with. Gas and tire company signs, great books, even an elusive original glass tail light lens for my '37 Cord. Now she's hit another home run with this miniature ca. '30's gas pump. It is 6 1/2 inches high, heavy, about 3/4 pound, and nicely detailed. I find no plastic in its construction except the lenses which appear to be of celluloid, and they have yellowed a bit. Parts like the frames and gas nozzle look like they are cast from lead as was used with the old soldier casting sets of the '40's. It definitely has parina, though granted some of it is incorporated in its paint job to simulate rust streaks. She found it at an estate sale where mascots and radiator ornaments were also being offered, so it didn't just come out of a child's toy box.

So, here's the question, is it old or a carefully crafted present day item? The zinger is that it had an unexplained bar code price sticker on the bottom!

post-54604-143142992315_thumb.jpg

It's modern. I have about a dozen different ones. All aquired about 10 - 13 years ago, so my estate sale will have a bunch. I like them because none have a gas brand, just the barn find look. There is a single and dual cylinder visable Fry, several clock face styles and pumps from the teens to the 50's. They all look old. Good desk and bookcase decor.

They have apps for smart phones that let you scan bar codes and they give you information about the product over the internet if they are something that is available. Might be worth a try. If you don't have access to proper software/hardware post a clear photo of the bar code and I will try scanning it.

Jim, thanks for the offer to decode the sticker, but unfortunately it is gone. That thought should have come to me early on, but duh, it didn't. This pump is unique when compared to the few other small ones I have because of the materials used and its details and construction. One detail that I question is that this type pump in real life would probably have had a clock face rather than the digit wheels on it that gave gallons and calculated the price. But as John says, it is cool, and I like it a lot. It's refreshing to see one that isn't made of plastic.

Paul, do you know who/where it was made and if the same company made other brand's pumps? There's no maker's id on it, couldn't find any on ebay. I would be particularly interested in an American Oil Tank and Pump Company visible model like the ca. 1925 real one that I have.

It appears that the pump features some good craftsmanship; however, if it has simulated aging, it more than likely is not original. Simulated aging (rust streaks etc.) is a fairly recent technique, and anything pre-1950 was not artificially aged or weathered (from the factory)

Just my opinion,

Grog