Driving a Prewar Car on a Modern Highway

alsancle

I'm wondering how many of us still venture out on the highway with a prewar car? I've never done it with anything less than a big straight 8 and tend to do it less and less. Here is a video from last weekend showing a 32 Packard 8 cruising down the highway. This car has a high speed rear so it has long legs but there was plenty left in it. The cars that seems to be ok either had factory overdrive, a two speed rear (Auburns), a high 4th gear (Cord, Mercedes) or a new high speed rear. I'm assuming that nobody does it with the smaller displacement cars?

Mr. Alsancle, do you mean superhighways--limited-access highways

of 4 lanes or more--or regular 2-lane highways?

In many parts of the country, away from the big urban centers,

there are plenty of 2-lane highways where the speed limit is 45 to 55.

And Pennsylvania, thankfully, has plenty of small roads where

speeds of 30 or 35 are fine--great for driving my oldest car, a 1916!

I still take out my 1940 LaSalle on the interstates from time to time. I prefer to use secondary roads when I can, but it is not always possible.

America in the thirties was a 35MPH country. If I had a Chevy or Plymouth of that era, I would be more concerned.

I take my bone stock 1936 Dodge on the freeway, but run in the right lane at 55-60 mph. The rear end is 3.73 , I believe I could go faster, but stopping quickly becomes more of a concern then.

My first antique car I owned in the 70's was a 35 Dodge. Freeway running was fine then, the technology of a 40 yr old car was not that far behind in that era. However, fast forward another 40 yrs and the technology has made a quantum leap forward and really left our antiques behind.

I prefer to drive my 1929 Studebaker President (337 cid straight eight) on back roads at 45-50 mph. However, it has a 3.56 ratio rear end that allows me to do 65 mph on the freeway, if necessary. Sometimes, you have no choice but to get out on the interstate freeways, especially in the San Francisco Bay area. When on the freeway I stay in the right lane and only move over to pass slower modern cars. It is enjoyable to watch their expression when I pass them by.

post-30688-1431429923_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about your basic 65 mph 6 lane highway. I haven't seen a non hot rod prewar car I years.

Ok then. All full classic cars should be able to do this. Their size and power put them in a league of their own.

IMO, freeway driving is no fun in a prewar car. I have driven most of my older Buicks on Interstate freeways. But, I don't feel safe with big trucks tailgating & other drivers trying to take photos of my car while edging me off the roadway....

I don't own a pre-war car.

But, I get the occasion to drive one now and again for a livery service a s a chauffeur for wedding getaways.

The cars are

1930 Ford 'A' touring sedan (six side windows)

1931 Ford 'A' sedan

1936 Packard sedan

1939 Rolls Royce Wraith formal sedan

1940 Packard Sedan

They all have stock engines transmissions and rear axles. They're not modernized, except for the Rolls has a US taillight/taglight added on the left fender

I drive them all on Interstate and Federal multi lane highways.

The six cylinder Rolls and Packard eights do better than the little four cylinder Fords of course.

I drive the little Fords about 55 and 60 mph

The others a bit faster, but not over 65, especially the '36 Packard. The '36 has a very low rear end.

I've driven my 1932 Franklin on interstates. It's comfortable at 55 mph with stock gearing. At that speed, I'm getting passed by most everything, but I'm not getting run over. I won't drive at night on the highway.

As for "small displacement" cars, my 1931 Plymouth will run just as fast without breaking a sweat, and it stops better.

Prefer not to drive at night in a pre-war car but when it happens I stick a couple pieces of conspicuity tape on the rear bumper for extra visibility. Keep them in the trunk stuck to a piece of flat plastic and have re-used them for several years. 3M Automotive Painter Tape works great; no residue and reusable a couple times.

My 42 Cad Flathead keeps up with traffic very well but often it'll get trailered across town to avoid dangerous Autobahn-wanna be drivers on the freeway.

Please define "prewar". :)

A few years ago I had a long conversation with another old car person where we lamented the lack of parts for "prewar" cars showing up at swap meets. Eventually I figured out that to him "prewar" was pre-WW1, not pre-WW2.

Assuming you mean post-WW1 and pre-WW2, I think it greatly depends on the make, model and year. Cars were one of the high tech products of the era and improvements on them were made at an astounding rate, much like small personal electronic devices nowadays. A year or two difference on model year could make a huge difference as to how well it can deal with higher speeds.

That said, my '33 Plymouth has its original 4.375 rear end which means the engine is winding up pretty good. It came from the factory with a four bearing counter balanced crank, aluminum pistons, replaceable bearing inserts throughout and full pressure lubrication and Chrysler ran the engine designs through 50 hour tests at max BHP which is 3600 RPM. Backing off of that a couple hundred RPM says you should be able to cruise at 3000 to 3200 RPM all day. In my car that works out to a bit over 60 MPH. And if I am going long distances, like the other year when I returned 900 miles from a national car meet, I just sit in the right lane of the freeway at between 60 and 65 MPH.

There are other makes and models in that same price class for '33 that had three bearing non-counterbalanced cranks, cast iron pistons and splash lubrication which I'd be hesitant to run faster than 40 or 45 MPH for any distance. So again, I think it greatly depends on the make, model and year.

Prefer not to drive at night in a pre-war car but when it happens I stick a couple pieces of conspicuity tape on the rear bumper for extra visibility. Keep them in the trunk stuck to a piece of flat plastic and have re-used them for several years. 3M Automotive Painter Tape works great; no residue and reusable a couple times.

My 42 Cad Flathead keeps up with traffic very well but often it'll get trailered across town to avoid dangerous Autobahn-wanna be drivers on the freeway.

I made up a couple of mounts that can clamp on my rear bumper arms that hold battery powered bicycle LED tail lights. They fit in my glove box so all I have to do is remember to check/replace the batteries periodically. As a bonus I can set them to flash mode if I need hazard lights.

My 1948 Studebaker M5 truck is basically the same as the model released in the fall of 1940: 170 cubic inch engine, 80 hp. I did add an overdrive transmission which reduces the final drive ratio from 4.82 to 3.37. Combined with the 6.50-16 tires, I can run at 60-65 mph at 2300 rpm. It works fine on flat roads, slows down a little on steep hills until I kick it out of overdrive. I have had it over 72 mph but the steering and suspension were not made for that. I'm comfortable at 60-65 mph and the noise level is OK. On the other hand, I did the bolt-on swap of 1964 Studebaker pickup truck brake backing plates and shoes for more effective brakes using the same 11"x2" drums. The truck does not accelerate quickly, but it stops very well. I do watch out for "sweet young things" driving beat up Dodge Neons while chatting on the phone... My wife watches out for "old car, new license plate" vehicles that pull in ahead of us.

post-47871-1431429926_thumb.jpg

I made up a couple of mounts that can clamp on my rear bumper arms that hold battery powered bicycle LED tail lights. They fit in my glove box so all I have to do is remember to check/replace the batteries periodically. As a bonus I can set them to flash mode if I need hazard lights.

I do that, too.

Red LED lights with two settings that will burn steady or flash

If I am not mistaken that's an 8 lane highway, and a speed of about 65 to 70 mph. I think the video is a great example of why all cars should be driven. Too many great cars sit in the garage for years at a time. I also like the video you have on your you tube page of the open Pierce Arrow with stock gearing going 75 mph down 95 returning from a major concours. Yes you can drive them and show them. Here is a link to the Pierce V-12 Chicago auto show car from 1935.

Who is the good looking guy visible in the rear view mirror driving? :-)

I NEVER drive my 1940 Packard on the Interstate slow enough to be tailgated. If I had a car that was not strong enough to not only keep up with traffic but to surpass it, I would not be comfortable at all, so probably would stay off that type of road if at all possible. There are just way too many incidents where someone is getting run into from behind.

Texting has taken all the fun out of bike riding and driving old cars slowly.

I am also a member of ACCCC in Canada where we also have a vintage group pre 1942 in the club. This year four of us are hosting two weekend tours one based in Lindsay in June and the other in Napanee Ont. in Aug. We are lucky to have roads that the early cars can go on with little traffic but the only draw back is getting your car to the event. Toronto sits in the middle of southern Ontario with the 401 eight lane express and 6 lane collector freeway and the 407 eight lane toll road going through the middle of it. Toronto has the busiest roads in North America right behind LA so I myself would not drive a vintage car it that area. You may sit in traffic for the morning making it difficult to get people to cross Toronto to come to an event. ACCCC is trying to get the early cars out by inviting anyone to join in as long as you are a member of any recognised antique car club. I myself have no interest in going on a tour where you are on a road doing 50 as I enjoy looking at the view of the countryside. But looking around what people are driving to-day I am a minority with a 30 Cadillac running 3.60 gears.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I think guy qualifies as taking the ultimate adventure. This past November, a guy from Scotland brought his 1914 Stutz to the US & proceeded to drive it coast to coast on the interstates. He drove it from Washington DC to Los Angeles, CA. He did 45-55 mph the whole way. I'll admit it, this guy has more balls than I do!

axm2sr99ajAW_iD80YmHR6qnQtZWYDrf5D0W0CO9BxynFgL6SG  bzdJkEkqKk-vVCTFVG=w1093-h531

Columbus, Ohio

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=4c91fde0-6e4c-11e4-9d6b-00215ad88084&Aux=954%7c0%7c8D1D0703597B580%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7  c%7c%7c45%7cthestutzclub%40aol.com&cid=4e1f685fe64a267b&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxCcmFuaXNsYXZfSW5fTEEuanBnfGltYWdlL2pwZWc_3  d

on Hwy 10 in Los Angeles.

check out the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_JYnhvi0mIjS3BTNE9yT1NRVXc/view?usp=sharingmd

I got my 37 Chevy p/u able to go 65 on the highway now but I can tell its not really designed for that speed so I do not go any faster,even though I did lower it a little and upgrade the brakes it still seems a little top heavy at higher speeds and still acts like a old truck. I still usually take the back roads but its good to know if I do have to go on the highway it will handle it without the motor sounding like its going to come apart,I wish overdrive trans would have been more available on the low priced prewar vehicles.

Although engines got a little more refined, you might extend the "Pre-War" up to about 1954. Vision at night (forward and from approaching traffic) and braking capabilities would still be issues. Many "low geared" six cylinder engines, usually about 110 horsepower, could also be considerations. And, of course, tire technology is also a consideration.

As with any collector car on public roads, you've got to be aware of where you are and who's around you.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I don't own a pre-war car.

But, I get the occasion to drive one now and again for a livery service a s a chauffeur for wedding getaways.

The cars are

1930 Ford 'A' touring sedan (six side windows)

1931 Ford 'A' sedan

1936 Packard sedan

1939 Rolls Royce Wraith formal sedan

1940 Packard Sedan

They all have stock engines transmissions and rear axles. They're not modernized, except for the Rolls has a US taillight/taglight added on the left fender

I drive them all on Interstate and Federal multi lane highways.

The six cylinder Rolls and Packard eights do better than the little four cylinder Fords of course.

I drive the little Fords about 55 and 60 mph

The others a bit faster, but not over 65, especially the '36 Packard. The '36 has a very low rear end.

Although engines got a little more refined, you might extend the "Pre-War" up to about 1954. Vision at night (forward and from approaching traffic) and braking capabilities would still be issues. Many "low geared" six cylinder engines, usually about 110 horsepower, could also be considerations. And, of course, tire technology is also a consideration.

As with any collector car on public roads, you've got to be aware of where you are and who's around you.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Another car that i drive for weddings is a 1952 Bentley six cylinder, four speed manual.

I didn't include it in my list. It's like a modern car. On the highway it reminds me of my Roadmaster. Trying to hold at 65mph , it will creep up to 75mph.

The Bentley is very smooth on the highway. And it's got a nice rumble from it's split manifold dual exhaust

And whats a modern highway? "Junkyard Jeff says his Chevy isnt designed for these speeds" , neither is my pickup designed for 15MPH! Around here anything over

25mph is sewer- side...I got an egg on my head to prove it.. Its not only a single stretch, is all of them. Time to break out my T, but only if it has a heater....??

sam

come here if you need hub caps and busted springs they are all over

My 37 just does not feel right going over 70 with the way it handles,it feels more comfortable at 55 or 60 as a top speed then any higher speeds and have taken it on 25 mile trips going 65 on the highway with no problems but its no where like driving a newer truck at those speeds. I guess if I would make a streetrod out of it with more modern suspension it would probably do better but I do like the old truck feel so that is where its going to stay,I was hoping the 4 inch drop in the front and 3 inches in the rear sould have made a bigger difference but it still seems a little top heavy on turns.

I think much of this has to do with what highway and what time of day and where it is. One of my cars is fairly modern a 1985 Caprice wagon, I had taken it on I-75 in Florida and it seems like the average flow of traffic here is 80-85 MPH (50% of the drivers seem to be doing something other then driving also) While the car can move along fine at 80 MPH, you know you are going 80 MPH, and I just don't feel safe driving it at that speed. I am not on the same playing field, sort of feel like I am playing football and the only one wearing a leather helmet.

I sold my 31 Chevy two years ago because we just ran out of roads to drive it on, and the deciding factor was almost getting broadsided by a late model BMW who ran a stop sign while she said she was sorry but "just had to text my friend"

I think much of this has to do with what highway and what time of day and where it is. One of my cars is fairly modern a 1985 Caprice wagon, I had taken it on I-75 in Florida and it seems like the average flow of traffic here is 80-85 MPH (50% of the drivers seem to be doing something other then driving also) While the car can move along fine at 80 MPH, you know you are going 80 MPH, and I just don't feel safe driving it at that speed. I am not on the same playing field, sort of feel like I am playing football and the only one wearing a leather helmet.

I sold my 31 Chevy two years ago because we just ran out of roads to drive it on, and the deciding factor was almost getting broadsided by a late model BMW who ran a stop sign while she said she was sorry but "just had to text my friend"

Exactly what I'm takin about. Florida, 80-85 you aint going more that 25 or 30 here in buckled Masshole and even at 30 you get launched into the roof slam blowout...

This amounts to billions in road repair here, and I'll never see it....

I do that, too.

Red LED lights with two settings that will burn steady or flash

I had a PM requesting drawings or photos on what I have done. Since this might be of interest to a larger audience, I thought I post here.

Basically made from a short piece of 1/2" EMT, a bolt, some nuts, washers, some bar stock and a fairly bright bicycle LED tail light:

post-30650-143142996101_thumb.jpg

post-30650-143142996126_thumb.jpg

post-30650-143142996149_thumb.jpg

Exactly what I'm takin about. Florida, 80-85 you aint going more that 25 or 30 here in buckled Masshole and even at 30 you get launched into the roof slam blowout...

This amounts to billions in road repair here, and I'll never see it....

I agree with you 100% the infrastructure in the Northeast is shot! I am tired of hearing "we had a hard winter" I have hitting the same pothole(s) on the Cross Bronx Expressway (far from an expressway) which is a section of I-95 for 30 years! My main concern is the other drivers, you can all of the L.E.D. lights you want, but if people are looking down at their phones they won't see them until just about the moment they slam into the back of your car. In many states if you are 15 miles below the speed limit, they can issue you a summons and make you get off the highway.

A.J. - When we had our '39 Packard 120 with I believe 100 HP, this car was driven on CT highways with the simple precaution of avoiding known trouble spots and rush hour. Otherwise, no issues and yes, even some left lane time. I am told the car had a highway gear option - no OD, but I can tell you it was comfortable at 60 - 65, with room for more (I believe 70 was fastest I drove it) and I understand that not all 120s from the same year had identical rear end gearing. I think the only hazard was the same as 40 - 50 MPH roads or even local roads - people staring at the car and gravitating towards it, which can be scary at times.

Ed, hoping to get a ride at some point; glad to see it stetching it's legs!

I have seen prewar cars on highways which really should not be - but never felt this car was unsafe for the conditions we used it on.

The new (European) owner logs miles as well, here it is on the Autobahn!

post-50141-143142997476_thumb.jpg

Guys, if you don't mind, I'll throw in a small caveat to owners of vintage Chevrolets. I remember that it was often said of Chevrolet babbitt bearing sixes that you could drive them all day at 60 mph, but drive for any length of time at 65 mph and you would burn out the bearings. Of course that wasn't an absolute, and most likely it was an exaggeration, but it wouldn't have been often said if it wasn't at least sometimes true. I don't wish to pick on Chevrolets or their fans for no particular reason here. I just mention it so that their owners should be aware that their specific make, in particular, may suffer from too many rpms over too long a period of time. I've heard it speculated that the rods, and consequently, their bearing surfaces could have been wider to help dissipate the heat better, but I'm not really sure if that's true or not. I can also recall someone once saying that the weight of their cast iron pistons played a role, but, again, I'm not knowledgeable enough to begin to have a guess. I don't want to imply for a moment that Chevrolets of this era were defective when driven at the predominant speeds of the day, or occasionally pressed for additional speed. Engine wear and oil weight, temperature and quality would all play a critical role in this type of bearing failure. I also don't wish to imply that there is any inherent weakness in babbitt bearings or splash fed oiling in general. There are far too many examples of powerful, long life engines for that to be true. I only politely encourage Chevrolet owners to consider inquiring of other knowledgeable Chevrolet owners (perhaps on Chevrolet club sites) what they feel are the limitations, if any, of their otherwise dependable, and well respected engines.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I would suggest 50 mph max for Chevrolet, Hudson and others with babbitt bearings and splash lubrication. Based on the Chev and Hudson motors my father burned out in the fifties. Plus feedback from other people who drove them when they were late model cars.

I was afraid that my thoughts might provoke just such a response. That's simply a ridiculous thing to say! Just try to keep a Hudson, Buick or Packard under 50 mph. I can only assume that your father owned some very high miles Hudsons!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I always call my '53 Special (straight-8) the most modern '30s car you'll ever drive. I've had it above 80, but it doesn't like it at all. Any more than 60-65 and it just feels uncomfortable, and the temp starts to slowly creep up if I go too fast. It's tuned fine, recored radiator, hot tanked engine at rebuild... It did the same thing before I had all the work done. I wish now I would have gone with a Roadmaster radiator core, but oh well. I'm guessing the pace was more relaxed in '53, so I just keep it in the far right lane and watch everyone else go by.