Dodge DA oil filter cartridge

I think the original types were disposable not reusable. One member on this board Jason Anderson (1930...I haven't seen him on here in a while) was making new ones w/ a removable filter, but were rather pricey...I bought an old Purolator oil filter w/ removable top off Ebay for about $30 that was about the same size as the original "large grapefruit juice can".

Jesse, mine looks like your setup w/ a T-handle at the top...yours may be original for '30, but Jason's looks more original for a '29.....my car will be a driver so I don't mind the difference and I don't have to throw out the canister.....at least the T-handle setup looks more appropriately vintage than the 40's / 50's filters I was using.

Jesse: Could you provide another picture of your DA oil filter canister--one more from the side so I can see the top better. Here is an image of the filter canister on my 1930 DA Victoria for comparison. It looks related to yours. Currently, my oil filter canister is not in the oil flow circuit so I can't give anyone a definition of the filter contained within. Howard

post-32547-143142993475_thumb.jpg

Edited by HBergh (see edit history)

Howard, that container looks a lot like that on my Studebaker. Mine takes a Fram C-4, Wix 51006, Ryco R4P, AC P209 etc. I believe it is after-market from the '30s to '50s. I think Jesse's is an earlier version - note the separate bottom, sides and top with T-handle. It also looks taller.

The oil filter that Jason modified appears to be the original type as shown in the owners manual. There is another type that has a removable filter that can be cleaned. I have both types, but the “removable filter” type appears so common here that I would assume that it may have been fitted as standard equipment in some cases (for export ?) or fitted early in the life of the car. Glenn Smith (Vintage and Classic Reproductions) has a modified top for this type (listed under his DA catalogue) that takes a modern filter insert. This is what is on my DA. His list price is $265 AU but that is the equivalent to $207 US at the moment due to the exchange rate, still not cheap though. Worth remembering if anyone in US wants Australian goods, now is a pretty good time to buy.

The first two photos show the two types with the “removable filter” type dismantled. The third photo shows this type with the Glenn Smith top on my DA.

John

post-67360-143142997396_thumb.jpg

post-67360-143142997406_thumb.jpg

post-67360-143142997416_thumb.jpg