Seeking help to identify this engine

Guest zman57

Guest zman57

Greetings All,

Looking for help from the vast expertise within this forum to identify the engine in the attached pics, which was originally thought to be a Maxwell.

Before I acquired the engine it had been used some years ago as a stationary engine to run a generator on a farm.

It would appear very similar to early Chrysler family engines, but the engine number does not have an alpha prefix and it is 441290.

I have more pics if require additional detail.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

post-106917-143142991745_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142991714_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142991722_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142991729_thumb.jpg

post-106917-143142991737_thumb.jpg

It appears to be a 1923 Maxwell. Maxwell serial numbers for that year were 388530-444231. Your engine has a oil bath cone clutch with the filler in the rear clutch housing mount (seen in picture 1) which Maxwell used and the remaining blue/green paint is correct for Maxwell.

Guest zman57

Thanks for your response Dave, My experience is limited to post 50's vehicles so I am kinda lost with this one. 1923 Maxwell would certainly be in line with a partial Maxwell dash fascia and amperes gauge that came with the engine that I managed to date from 22 to 24. I did look at some 20 - 24 Maxwell engines online to try and match but I notice that they had a different top hose outlet cast into head where this one is very similar to the Chrysler that succeeded the Good Maxwell engine with a 'bolt on' housing.

Cheers,

Martin.

Guest zman57

I suppose it is possible as I don't know the history but it would depend on compatibility of the redesigned Chrysler Four or Plymouth engines.

Being in Australia, I wouldn't of thought there would be the availibilty of parts for these or similar models particularly in rural areas back then, buy hey it's not out of the question. Hopefully some of the Maxwell / Chrysler guru's in this forum will be able to shed some light on it?

Thanks.

I'm no expert but I believe the first Chrysler four cylinder models were revised Maxwells. In that case it would not be surprising if a Chrysler head fit a Maxwell. It also would not surprise me if a Chrysler head were substituted for the original at some time, at least it is a possibility. Another possibility is that a late model Maxwell had the revised head.

It is when parts are hard to get, that substitutions are most common.

Guest zman57

Yes the Maxwell was the forerunner to the Chrysler but I checked pics the last of the Maxwell engines 1925 (Good Maxwell's) and they dont have the seperate housing. But the Chyrsler series 58,50 & 52 (1926 thu 28) and the Plymouth Q does.

Do you think I should post this to the Maxwell forum? if I knew how?

Guest zman57

I was advised by another member of the forum that those series of numbers are body numbers not engine numbers and Maxwell engine numbers start with a 'C'.

To be continued....