Combination Switch rebuild, 1926 Buick

AzBob

Just finished rebuilding the 1926 Delco combination switch. Cleaned and inspected the switch body and found it to be in good shape as well as the micarta contact plate. Ordered and installed new switch levers and glass (lexan) face with eyelet from Bob's. Was satisfied with the quality of the reproduction parts. Did notice that the "Delco" font and lettering was a little different from my original.

The bezel required some minor dent removal and polishing. It was then nickel plated using Caswell's "Plug and Plate" kit. After a little practice with the kit, nickel plated the bezel and instrument light switch. I am very pleased with the results.

post-101134-143142991694_thumb.jpg

looks great and reminds me to ask you a question, do all of your gauges have a silver nickel outer rim? all of mine do except one which is gold rimmed which makes me think it doesn't belong to the car (or the car was made on a Friday...)

• 3 months later...

Hi All

It seems it must be a normal problem for this.  I have sadly just broken the ignition switch completely fell apart with contact for the ignition wires falling out all together.  Similarly I can't get the assembly out of the car, so will follow these instructions, trying Leif's suggestions too.

Once out of the car - I am worried that there will be parts broken inside as well as the main plate.  Does anyone have spares?

Regards

Ben

If by plate you mean the pot metal housing that holds all the pieces you can get those from Bob's Automobilia.  You probably can't remove the old one beacause the pot metal has deteriorated and swollen up.  An earlier post suggested that you could remove the housing by sanding the housing so it would release from the dashboard.  Don't worry about ruing the housing as you will probably will not be able to use the old one.  As long as the broken pieces are all from the housing which they probably are, you can reuse all the little connectors  pay close attention to how it  is put together.